Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
for one of mine it was the play bow. He seems to be a throwback to his great uncle who was always playbowing, so after awhile I tossed him a cookie or two when he playbowed an d now there's no chance of him ever stopping it. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dog (1 year) does something similar. He did it automatically after about 4 months. I say "Where's mama?", refering to my girlfriend, and he'll dart off to go look for her. He won't stop searching until he's found her or if I call him back. I didn't have to teach him this at all, and I find it funny when he can't find her. He ends up tiring himself out.

I wish he would do what your dog does.

Zoey has always done fetch.. we never had to teach her that.. Since she was my first dog I just thought that all dogs knew how to play fetch.. instinct or something right? lol.. Then I came on here and saw people asking for help teaching fetch, and it was like.. "What?"

I never had to teach her to 'drop it' either.. I taught her 'leave it' but not drop it.. but one day she had something I didn't want her to have.. and it must just have been my tone or something, but I said 'Drop it' and she did, and always has since!

She also learns phrases that I say and knows what to do with out me ever specifically teaching her.. If I say "Is Daddy home??" She'll leap up from wherever she is, race to the front door, sit down, stare at it, and wag her tail. If I say 'Do you want to go for a walk?" She will run to the closet with her leash in it, and sit there and wag her tail. If I say "Go get it!" she will run off in search of the nearest toy to bring back to me.. Lately this toy has been Maggie :eek: but Mag doesn't put up with being shuffled around too well. If I ask her "What is that??" She'll go on full alert, listening for any noise, and then moments later she'll run to the window, look out and growl, then she'll run to the next window and do the same thing, and so it continues, until she's sure she's scared whatever it was off. If I say "Go find it" She'll run around the house looking for a treat on the floor..

·
Registered
434 Posts
I jsut remembered one today while my dog was at work with me today. I have her gated off in the reception room (by the desk in the front part and a child gate with a door in the rear part).

Me, my vet, and hte cleaning lady (it's a small operation) don't even bother to close the door fully half hte time cause my dog seems to know she's supposed to stay there.

I forgot to close the door at all today when leading a customer back to his dog from boarding and didn't realize until I came back and she had stayed in the reception area.

The only reason I even keep the gate there is I know she'd be too tempted if a playful dog walked by. She has seemed to learn she is supposed to stay there. Shoot, long as you mostly shut the door that's enough to keep her there and I've gotten to the point if I'm just grabbign a chart I don't even bother to cloes the door cause she'll stay.

Usually she stays up by the desk and lays there and waits for some one to give her attention (or another dog to jump up on the desk area to say high to her). If some one wants to pet her I can call her name with the right tone, tell her they want to greet her, and she'll jump up and lean her paws on the counter to say hi. Or sometimes when she's feeling lazy just sit up and hope they lean over the counter, heh.

·
Banned
428 Posts
Smokey will not touch food no matter what. I only taught him not to beg, but one day I was eating on the floor and I had a steak and I forgot about it and didnt want the rest and he did not touch it that whole night. After that I tempted him just to see and left food or sumthn on the table and would go to bed and he will not touch it untill I physically hand it to him

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Does licking people's hair count? Because I never taught him that :rolleyes:

Reminds of that late night infomercial for a sweeper when the guy says "Cat hair, dog hair, your hair, or my hair..." that's definitely Wally's new approach to hair...

If that doesn't count, how about the looking at me before he pees on a spot (or goes to pee in general). I didn't teach him this (at least not consciously :eek:), but he'll find a spot to sniff and the look at me like "can I pee on it? Huh? Huh?" If I call him or just walk away, he'll follow. If I say "go potty" he'll happily leave his mark.

Another pee-related one, if we're walking and he needs to go, he'll start by lagging a bit - almost like he's subtly hinting that, "ahem, I need to go". If that doesn't work, he'll start heeling and stare up at me for a bit then looking back ahead. If that doesn't work. He'll walk up ahead of me a little to get a better look at my face (and I presume he thinks I can see him better as well - either that or he's hoping I look to see where he is so I don't step on him).

If THAT doesn't work, eventually he'll be staring a hole in my head like "Don't you **$**$*$* see me down here?!" The smilling "please" panting face turns into a closed-mouth, "okay look, seriously, I need to go!" expression LOL

Smokey will not touch food no matter what. I only taught him not to beg, but one day I was eating on the floor and I had a steak and I forgot about it and didnt want the rest and he did not touch it that whole night. After that I tempted him just to see and left food or sumthn on the table and would go to bed and he will not touch it untill I physically hand it to him
Lucky you, I had to teach mine not to do that. He won't jump on it, but he didn't learn it himself.

I wish he would, especially outside :rolleyes:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Oh, I'm really jealous of the food one!

I found out that Hershey know does her down-stay when I get out of the shower too. It worried me at first because she'll usually wander in and out of the bathroom while I'm in the shower. If she doesn't, it's been because she got into something I accidentally left out or is killing the dangerous kleenex that leapt out of the trash can. So here I am hurrying up to finish the shower and she's just laying down in the living room and once she she's me, won't move until I release her.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Does jumping out of our third story window and following me to the movies count? Because Kaki has that one down.
Don't worry. We always shut the window when we leave now.
She also learned "go get tess"(my roommate) by herself. She gets all bouncy until she can't find her. Then she's all business saying,"Mom, I've got a missing roommate to track". And she will. Not that it's hard. She knows where tess works.

Hughbert will "talk" to me. Rather than barking, he'll make all kinds of weird little noises when I talk to him. So we have conversations.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts