Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Similar to the "ever regret" thread, does your dog have a trick that you have no idea where they picked it up?

Hershey has got a great one. She's reliable to be left alone inside for short periods, <15 minutes, so I don't crate her when I get the mail, take the trash out, etc. When I come back, she's a few feet from the entry way in a down-stay with her head down on her paws. She stays that way until released!!

She's trained not to bolt out the door and stay back when visitors enter but I don't know how/why she put this combo together. I'm fairly certain she's not like that the entire time I'm gone, she just goes into that when she hears the key in the door.

So, what have your dogs magically learned?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Magically learned to poop once in the morning and again an hour later at a friend's house... WHERE DOES IT COME FROM, that's gotta be magic! lol!

Just kidding, that's not a trick... lol... : P DUH, but I wish Donatello would have something cool like that!

·
Registered
171 Posts
If there is a piece of food or a toy up on a table our Border Collie will look at it then look at me, then look at it again till it gets through my stupid human brain thats what he wants.And now that he is old and recently went deaf he has learned to watch our faces and hands to see what to do.He is an amazing dog.I have 6 dogs and the BC is by far the most intelligent dog Ive ever come across.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Kina started fetching at 8.5 weeks. She brought me her toy, I threw it, she brought it back! I threw it again, she brought it back! I was so shocked as I have never been able to teach my older dog how to fetch!

I got my camera out and started filming her because I didn't think anyone would believe that my 8.5 week old puppy was fetching.

Now it's her favorite game!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
My dog is a peacekeeper, and defender of small dogs. At the DP, he breaks up fights/escalating aggression, and will "rescue" any smaller dog being hassled by a larger one. He also body bumped a dog that jumped on me yesterday. I just wish he would be quieter about it!:eek:

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I wouldn't call it a trick but the best darn behavior I didn't have to teach was 'give'. The ineffective me for a long period of time accepted retrieve to be, drop the Frisbee at my feet. Then one day I got sick of reaching down and with one hand gesture, I asked Elsa to give it to me. She proceeded to pick up the Frisbee and put it in my hand. I haven't bent over since.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Our old dog would fetch the ball after it was thrown, go into a down in front of you with the ball between her paws then nudge it over to you. And if it didn't roll close enough to you she would get up and bring it right to your feet. We still had to bend down to get it, but the nose nudge was very cute.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Our old dog would fetch the ball after it was thrown, go into a down in front of you with the ball between her paws then nudge it over to you. And if it didn't roll close enough to you she would get up and bring it right to your feet. We still had to bend down to get it, but the nose nudge was very cute.
Ha! I guess I should mention the drawback to the spontaneous 'give' is the spontaneous 'give' while I'm napping on the couch! :D

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
The door trick is definitely a winner! I wouldn't call this a trick, but one thing that Poca does that some people find unnerving is she really looks at you - see pic below. Lots of dogs watch their owners and what's happening around them. Poca stares a hole through things. Sometimes I think it's because her eyesight isn't as good as it should be so she stares hard to suss things out. Other times I think it's because she has a fearful personality and the staring is hyper alertness to any danger. But she also does it when we're playing or out walking. I dunno. Could just be the yellow eyes. I do know I never taught her that, though. I think it's charming, but like I said, it freaks some people out the way she really looks at them.

Ha! I guess I should mention the drawback to the spontaneous 'give' is the spontaneous 'give' while I'm napping on the couch! :D
Tell me about it. Try a spontaneous "give" of a big black Kong on your head while you're napping. Ouch!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Zoey has always done fetch.. we never had to teach her that.. Since she was my first dog I just thought that all dogs knew how to play fetch.. instinct or something right? lol.. Then I came on here and saw people asking for help teaching fetch, and it was like.. "What?"

I never had to teach her to 'drop it' either.. I taught her 'leave it' but not drop it.. but one day she had something I didn't want her to have.. and it must just have been my tone or something, but I said 'Drop it' and she did, and always has since!

She also learns phrases that I say and knows what to do with out me ever specifically teaching her.. If I say "Is Daddy home??" She'll leap up from wherever she is, race to the front door, sit down, stare at it, and wag her tail. If I say 'Do you want to go for a walk?" She will run to the closet with her leash in it, and sit there and wag her tail. If I say "Go get it!" she will run off in search of the nearest toy to bring back to me.. Lately this toy has been Maggie :eek: but Mag doesn't put up with being shuffled around too well. If I ask her "What is that??" She'll go on full alert, listening for any noise, and then moments later she'll run to the window, look out and growl, then she'll run to the next window and do the same thing, and so it continues, until she's sure she's scared whatever it was off. If I say "Go find it" She'll run around the house looking for a treat on the floor..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know, I'd almost trade the door behavior for "give" as Hershey can get a bit ADD when playing fetch.

She's good in the house, but at the beach she gets distracted halfway back, drops the ball and I have to go chasing after it before it gets washed out to sea. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Tell me about it. Try a spontaneous "give" of a big black Kong on your head while you're napping. Ouch!
Yep, with this pup I get a big rope knot toy in my face if I fall asleep on the sofa...

Our old dog also opened doors. The door from outside she would jump up and use the handle and it swung in, away from her. The doors that swung towards her she used her paw to pull it towards her then used her nose once the opening was big enough. Very useful, but she never got the hang of closing them behind her :p

·
Registered
104 Posts
My parents have a GSD/Welsh Corgi mix that has taught us a few tricks.

We moved around a lot, and the third time we moved with Kelsey, we had a laundry room, so Mom started using the buzzer on the laundry. We hadn't used it before because we didn't need it or couldn't hear it anyway.

Every time the buzzer would go off, Kelsey would come in and put her chin on Mom's knee (or mine, we were the only ones she did this to, because we did the laundry) and stare at her until Mom asked her what she wanted. This was her standard MO for getting our attention, at which point she led to whatever she wanted.

She led Mom straight to the laundry room door and stayed there until Mom went in and shut off the dryer. We think she doesn't like the buzzing. She would come all the way down the hall to my bedroom to get me to do the laundry (before I moved out), scratching at the door until I let her in. Crazy dog :p

She also established a hierarchy within the house. If Mom was home, she went to Mom for whatever it was. Then Dad, then me, then my brother. My brother could be sitting in the dining room, right next to her, and she would come find me in my bedroom to let her out. I know this because I'd ask my brother why he didn't let her out, and he told me she never bothered him!

This is her chin thing (she's so cute I had to make a LOLKelsey!):

Gah, just looking at pictures of her is making me cry! I have got to get a dog, soonest.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Gah, I know mine has but I can't seem to think of any at the top of my head.

HRm..

she does run into her crate enthusiastically before I tell her in the crate when I start preparing for work (sometimes over early).

Oh, and she mostly leaves the timid cat (the siamese in my sig) alone. I mean I would try to head her off if she went close to the cat by either calling her to me or saying her name in a warning tone but I didn't actively train her to leave the cat alone... she just picked up that I didn't like her bothering that cat (she mostly tries to play with the other cat). And I mean I'd do the same with the other cat so she wouldn't get too rough but she seems to pick up that I really don't want her bothering hte timid cat. I guess I sounded more serious or something if she got close to that one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't know how common this is with dogs but, my older mutt Jinx can juke or "fake out" when she's being chased. If your a basketball fan it's akin to Iversons cross over or any good cross over that leaves someone on the ground..

Rocko will be running right for her and she'll slam on the brakes, he'll blow by and she'll take off in the other direction... It's amazing to watch. :D There has actually been times where I'm watching the two of the them and she's so good at it that I'll actually lose her, in the sense that she is no longer where my eyes are going...

I'm sure I'm not doing it justice though. :p

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I was bowled over last week by this one:

By mistake I left a backpack on the floor with an untouched giant rawhide sticking out. I was taking a shower, and assumed the dog was laying in front of the bathroom door counting down the minutes, as usual. Nope - she had, of course, stolen the rawhide. Here's the good part, though: I came out of the bathroom and saw her with the rawhide in her theiving little paws. I started to scold her and reach for it when I realized that it was still completely untouched. Not even a tiny corner was chewed. She was waiting for me to give her permission! She was looking at me like "Please, mom, pretty please with a cherry on top???" After this heroic effort, I could hardly deny her.

This explains why she has never chewed anything but her own toys! If I give her an object and say "take it", she sees it as hers to do with as she pleases, forever and ever, amen. But if it doesn't come from my hand, it's off limits. I swear I didn't teach this - I wouldn't even know how to start!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Beau is a master thief, and pick pockets men's billfolds out've their back pocket WITHOUT them being aware! lol One holiday I had everyone over, and after all had left, discovered 3 wallets on my bed, belonging to my SIL, my youngest daughter's boyfriend, and her dad! :eek:

He's also a whiz at stealing food off the grandkid's plates right in front of us all without anyone seeing him do it. So, he's banned from the eating area when the kids are there eating.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sam dries himself off after walks in the rain. We used to have to chase him around and try and smother him with a towel. Now we just put the towel on the floor and he'll wiggle and rub against it until he's all dry! We never taught him how to do it (wouldn't even know how to go about teaching that!) but I guess he got tired of the snatch and towel off method and made up his own :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts