Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting an 8 week old puppy next Friday. I was wondering what training DVD's seem to have an impact on training a dog...anything from housebreaking to obedience and tricks. I look forward to hearing what has worked for you and your dog(s)!!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
I purchased "Crate Games" by Susan Garrett when I was having so much trouble getting Pebbles into her crate and being calm in the crate. I have not made it through all the stages yet, but she has learned that her crate is a good place *at night* The first time she went in with drive on her own I about cried! Her SA keeps me from locking her up during the day, but she can be trusted alone in the house now so that is ok. The DVD is really great, simple, and teaches a lot of great things, drive, focus, self-control...

Here is a video...

This one shows how quick even a very young puppy gets the concept...

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
LOL I love the one with all the tennis balls.

One or two he kinda said "eh".

Then when they ALL started coming out, he was like "what the heck?" And started looking at them :)

BTW would you recommend this even if your dog had no trouble with crating? Wally will go in and come out of his crate on cue, but I wonder if these games could still be good for him.

·
Registered
916 Posts
LOL I love the one with all the tennis balls.

One or two he kinda said "eh".

Then when they ALL started coming out, he was like "what the heck?" And started looking at them :)

BTW would you recommend this even if your dog had no trouble with crating? Wally will go in and come out of his crate on cue, but I wonder if these games could still be good for him.
Yes I would, the further into the DVD you get (more than the first 3 in the puppy video) the more "self control," drive, and focus, you teach your dog (or really the dog teaches itself). It's been a while since I've watched the DVD but there are lots of good things to be learned from it. Hopefully, I'll have more time this summer to work with Pebs through the levels.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I love the Crate Games DVD too and would also suggest Brenda Aloff's "Fundamentals: Foundation Training" and Jean Donaldson's "Perfect Paws in 5 Days".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts