Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is the best time to start training? Before he eats? after? when he wakes up from a nap? Apparently not he's being hyperactive because just jumps and scratches at the treat and runs off when he doesn't get it. I want to start training my 11 week old his basics. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Most people say to do it before he eats. He'll be more motivated by the treats if he's hungry.

I think there is a lot of truth to that.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
If your dog can maintain it's attention span, it doesn't matter when you train.

I personally find their attentions spans and focus to be best after light to moderate exercise. Not after extensive exercise though, can't train em if they're asleep.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The 'formal' training session is usually best before meals but, the informal ones are done throughout the day all day long. But, the very best time?....when the dog is absolutely begging for attention/interaction or play....you won't get a 'better' time to train.

·
Registered
269 Posts
In my puppy kindergarten class, the instructor really pushed us to train our pups on what we'd learned in class for 3 minutes at least 3 times a day. I started working with him for about 3 minutes before every meal (so 3 or 4 times a day) and I used his kibble as his reward. Even though we are done with PK, we've kept up with using that time to review things he knows. I save the good treats for when he's learning new things or when he's in a more distracting environment.

Training new stuff happens when we can fit it in the schedule. My schedule varies day to day so sometimes we can have a morning training session and other days it has to happen in the afternoon or evening. Sometimes it's happened in the middle of the night! If he's not interested in training for some reason, I'll do a quick review of stuff he knows just so the session doesn't frustrate either of us and try the new stuff again another time. I imagine routine is better, it's just not always feasible for us.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
In my puppy kindergarten class, the instructor really pushed us to train our pups on what we'd learned in class for 3 minutes at least 3 times a day. I started working with him for about 3 minutes before every meal (so 3 or 4 times a day) and I used his kibble as his reward. Even though we are done with PK, we've kept up with using that time to review things he knows. I save the good treats for when he's learning new things or when he's in a more distracting environment.

Training new stuff happens when we can fit it in the schedule. My schedule varies day to day so sometimes we can have a morning training session and other days it has to happen in the afternoon or evening. Sometimes it's happened in the middle of the night! If he's not interested in training for some reason, I'll do a quick review of stuff he knows just so the session doesn't frustrate either of us and try the new stuff again another time. I imagine routine is better, it's just not always feasible for us.
We'll be starting PK at petsmart next week so I'll be sure to keep those things in mind. Using the kibble and treats at different times seems like a clever idea.

Most people say to do it before he eats. He'll be more motivated by the treats if he's hungry.

I think there is a lot of truth to that.
Getting him to sit still is the trick I'm trying to figure out. Haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts