Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on getting my puppy spayed eventually and was wondering what will be the best time? I originally always thought that it should be after the first season, but I ran into a person who said that new studies are saying it's better before her first season.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Personally, if you can handle her seasons and make sure she's not bred, I'd wait until 18 months to spay.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm planning on getting my puppy spayed eventually and was wondering what will be the best time? I originally always thought that it should be after the first season, but I ran into a person who said that new studies are saying it's better before her first season.
You can spay them before their first heat cycle... and studies have shown that it reduces the risk certain cancers if you do.

http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/derepspay.html

·
Registered
13,066 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How often do the seasons last for and often will this happen? Of course I don't want to have an unhealthy puppy, but it just seems all the studies are contradicting when is the best time.

I was hoping to do it before her first cycle or only have one cycle.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Honestly, I haven't read up much on spaying as I've always had male dogs, but I know in male dogs the increase in cancer risks is so minimal as to be statistically insignificant. It'll jump from something lik .5 % to 1.5% which is a significant increase, but not enough to really make the difference. There are people on here who will tell you to never spay your dog, but I would disagree with that very strongly. What does your vet recommend?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I don't go by "cycles". I go by the maturity of the animal.

Altering a medium-large breed dog early can result in growth plates that don't/can't close, which can result in injury later in life.

Boxers are also already at risk for cancers, and an early alter increases that risk.

Bitches generally come into season every 6 months, but I've noticed the first season depends on size of dog AND the lines of that dog.

A friend of mine had a Boxer bitch who didn't have her first season until she was 18 months old. I know Shepherd Bitches not to come in until 9 months old or 14 months old...depends on the line in these cases.

Some bitches come right in at 6 months, others "wait".

The season lasts 3 weeks, but I give a week "Grace period" to make sure things are ok. Also, a bitch should NOT be spayed until at least a month after her last season.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yep, I am also wondering when to get Ruby spayed. My old dog was never spayed, but she developed a condition requiring an emergency spay when she was 11, and we eventually put her to sleep at 14 after several years of mammary cancer. She had several operations, but it got the point where further operations would no longer improve her quality of life, and with her age they were becoming more dangerous themselves.

That has definitely affected my decision to get Ruby spayed, but even with reading everything I can I cannot decide the best time for her to have it done.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
How big is Ruby?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ummm... at 6 months she is about knee height at her shoulder and about 30lbs. I have no tape measure or scales in my new apartment yet :p

But we are going to the vet on Monday to get her microchipped so I will get exact measurements then

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I got Belle spayed after her first heat, I got Penny spayed at 5 months before her first heat. If I could go back in time, I would do Belle before her heat as well. Penny handled it wayyy better than Belle did, I think because she was younger.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I was just trying to guess if she were a smaller dog or larger (unless you know what her mix is)

·
Registered
498 Posts
She is a beagle/lab mix, but there might be something else in there too. I dont think she will get much bigger, maybe a little taller and she might fill out a little.

I guess she is a medium dog lol

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Generally speaking, it's better to wait until after the dog has fully grown. With a toy breed that's going to happen much faster than with a giant breed. With mixes, it's sometimes difficult to tell when that point is. You know how big a purebred is supposed to be so you can look at the dog and say, "well, they're full grown now." With a mutt you never know which is part of the fun of mutts.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
The best time is subjective and varies from dog to dog size, breed, health, ect.

I prefer not to spay mine unless there is a medical need. If I wanted to make them under go the surgery and remove parts from their body aside from that I'd wait until they were mature. I wouldn't spay before the first heat though.

my german shepherd was spayed at 11 weeks, and no ill effects yet. I see no problem with an early spay.
How old is your German Shepherd at this time?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Indeed...I would NEVER spay a GSD that young :( Not unless I had to.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Yeah, rescue falls under "unless I had to". I admit, I don't like pediatric alters AT ALL, and would probably opt for an older puppy or altered adult (I'm just speaking of me, thank you much for rescuing :))

1 - 20 of 27 Posts