Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I'm just curious to know when you think is the best time of day to train your dog or puppy? It's said that sleeping helps retain anything you've learned throughout the day. I assume it's the same with all living things.
When have you found to be the best time to train your pup? In the morning? Before dinner? After dinner? Before or after walks and play? Just before they nap or just before they go to bed for the night?
Have you played around with the times of day to see when it is they retain what they've learned better? What are your experiences?

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
I don't think it matters too terribly much, but I typically train in the morning during our walks before breakfast and work, and then in the evening after dinner. Both are very short, 10-15 minute sessions. On weekends we do things randomly throughout the day when I have a minute between chores.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I haven't found that it matters much. They aren't crazy to train if I wake them out of a deep sleep and expect them to be enthusiastic, but other than that any time is a good time.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
With the hotter weather now, we do our Agility training outside during the morning or early afternoon. When we train indoors on Wednesdays and Saturday at the arena, we usually do it between noon and two o'clock. (that is split between three dogs, none of them train for the whole two hours.) All other training is at random times, no set time.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I prefer to train right when I come home from work when they are the most excited and engaged in me.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
I don't think it matters too terribly much, but I typically train in the morning during our walks before breakfast and work, and then in the evening after dinner. Both are very short, 10-15 minute sessions. On weekends we do things randomly throughout the day when I have a minute between chores.
I agree. When he was young, I trained my dog for about 10 - 15 min., 3 - 4 times a day. I don't have the reference, but more than 10 years ago, I read something that suggested that dogs need to sleep on their training for it to sink in. I don't think it's a requirement, but it may help for new learning. When I trained with food, I trained before meals. When I trained for stay, I trained after walking or exercise.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
agree with extreme weather conditions...

do feel you should only do training when you are able to enjoy the time spent, be focused and take your time doing the training...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She's been retaining very well when we train in the morning after she's been awake for an hour or two. Then she takes a nap after. We did two sessions already today. She did well. Then I took her on a walk which is normal for us this time of day. I work from home luckily. But three houses into the walk she became a crazy dog.
First time she's done that. So I had to bring her back home and put her in her crate for a nap.
I think she's stir crazy wearing a cone for seven days. I take it off on walks and loose leash training. Just now I guess the fresh air and tall grass just made her a lunatic. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts