Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a German shepherd that likes to jump the fence when given the opportunity and by this I mean if nothing is blocking the gates she will jump because the opp is there. Right now there are chairs pots and things blocking the fence the problem is that this prevents up from entering and exiting our backyard. So far this is the only thing that has worked. We have chain link fence and she only jumps from the latch gate. I wanted to know how PVC could help or if I need to add to the fence and have it bend down towards the floor like barbed wire but I won't use barbed wire don't want her to get get hurt also I think she might slip with PVC what other solutions are there.

She is only outside when we r not home and around 2 am because she is a night owl and will not come inside at night she likes the coool nights.

Recently today someone came and told us about the dog jumping and hopefully they won't do anything so I need a quick fix. Honestly I don't think it's fair because she jumped two to three times in the past three months while other dogs in the neighborhood roam the streets and these two dogs taunt my dog because she's in the backyard it annoying the owners don't care if they run around he neighborhood unleashed.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Run a couple of strands of electric horse fencing just inside your fence, about 1 foot off the ground and another about a foot and a half above that. Pretty cheap, and very effective.

Or Buy a No Jump harness. Get a good quality one as dogs can chew right thru the cheap ones.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Ditto the electric fence. Keeps all of my malinois in, a section of my fence is only 4 feet. Could be easily cleared by all of them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You can use an electric fence, or you could give the GSD more exercise.
Many dogs jump fences because they are bored and haven't been given proper stimulation throughout the day. A proper walk, and then some play throughout the day should keep him happy.

·
Registered
583 Posts
OK , this is a quick fix...

Go to store and buy 1 inch PVC as per need. Cut to fit an extension to the top of fence. Have the outside pieces extend down 2 feet on to fence so you can attach. Depending on how high you extend above top of fence you may want to configure a top bar and a second bar so you would have 2 horizontal bars , you can be creative as this is just cut and glue,,,Very Fast. Drill a hole in PVC and wire to fence or use ty-raps to hold in place as either will work. Do a dry fit first to make sure that you can still open gate , then glue it up and you are set. This is cheap and fast. Do it early in the day and let dog out and see what happens.

If this works well and you do not like the white color , just paint with aluminum color spray paint suitable for plastic and reattach.

Good Luck , oldhounddog

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Definitely need some more structure or more intense exercise.
Have you owned malinois? No matter the exercise or training regime, they still play. There is a tree in the yard that is down, they jump back and forth over it for fun lol. Over the past two weeks we have been on three searches, two lasted over twelve hours. After a twenty minute nap, back to crazy hyper games.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a similar problem with a portion of my fence that a pole was broken so my dog could bend it end use it to help him get over. Silly dog wouldn't jump back because it didn't bend both ways.

We got some 5 foot farm fencing (original fence is 4 foot chain link) and zip tied it to the existing fence and wove some tension bars through it to keep it from bending forward. We are 3 months in now and no more escapes.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Look out, we've got an expert over here. Lol
Usually I agree with more exercise and bored dogs. Honestly, some high drive dogs really just keep going. Look at border collies, meant.to herd all day. Malinois can work all day. Huskies can run all day. Ones that are in shape, seriously just don't wear out.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
A word of caution about leashing/harnessing the dog in the yard - make sure it can't reach the fence in any direction. There was a story about a dog on this forum a few months back that hung itself jumping over a fence while leashed.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't leave an escape artist dog out in the yard all day, unattended. You might try a covered run.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Usually I agree with more exercise and bored dogs. Honestly, some high drive dogs really just keep going. Look at border collies, meant.to herd all day. Malinois can work all day. Huskies can run all day. Ones that are in shape, seriously just don't wear out.
And some dogs escape because they like it. Kabota gets plenty of exercise and mental stimulation and the whole time I was chasing him when he escaped, it was very obvious that he was playing a game with me, a very fun game that he thought I was enjoying. Some dogs are just like that.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
And some dogs escape because they like it. Kabota gets plenty of exercise and mental stimulation and the whole time I was chasing him when he escaped, it was very obvious that he was playing a game with me, a very fun game that he thought I was enjoying. Some dogs are just like that.
Agree completely! Mine would jump over, and back in, they didn't leave lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Everyone I was thinking as a quick fix a trolley tie up so that she can still run about the yard but not jump the fence or get anywhere near it.

I am going to ask someone i know that works at lowes to see if they have any dog runs that are damaged or slightly damaged so i can get it cheaper or free.

let you all know what happens.

Has anyone tried Coyote rollers that is another thing i wanted to try but my fence is only 4 feet tall and they say to use a fence that is at least 5.

we cant afford to heighten our fence right now.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
When Maisy learned to jump the fence I looked into coyote rollers. When I contacted the company I was told that it isn't worth it unless the fence is at least 5-6' high because with the shorter fences they can just sail clear over it. It wasn't exactly budget friendly, but we ended up getting a new 6' privacy fence - which I have seen her experiment with finding her way over, also. So we may be getting coyote rollers after all. Sigh.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
It wasn't exactly budget friendly, but we ended up getting a new 6' privacy fence - which I have seen her experiment with finding her way over, also. So we may be getting coyote rollers after all. Sigh.
Little pooker. I feel your pain. I know that gleam in the eye that says, "Oh yeah, I could clear that easy." I've watched Poca sail with ease over 4-5' fences and she once almost cleared a 12' fence with the help of a garbage can that was next to the fence. Big sigh.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Little pooker. I feel your pain. I know that gleam in the eye that says, "Oh yeah, I could clear that easy." I've watched Poca sail with ease over 4-5' fences and she once almost cleared a 12' fence with the help of a garbage can that was next to the fence. Big sigh.
This is totally off subject, and hijacking this thread, but your dog absolutely captivates me. I could stare at your sig forever.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts