Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Best Slow Eating Dog Bowl?

928 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Penny23 
#1 ·
My mini labradoodle scarfs down her food. She is about 40 lbs, not overweight but eats very fast. She also will eat her poop if allowed. My groomer said maybe she is not digesting her food as much -try a slow eating bowl and see if that helps. (we have tried other methods to stop her from eating her poop to no avail) . She gets about a 1 1/4 cup Hills Science Diet twice a day. She started out on Blue but had diarrhea from that. She is constantly 'hungry'. I'll give it a try but is one better than another? TIA!

#2 ·
I never used a slow feed bowl. My gobbler ate from food puzzles but I didn't care for any of the ones available back then as they were hard to load and clean so I started putting kibble into a dry milk or water bottle instead. Single use and you do have to watch the dog so the thin plastic doesn't get ripped and chewed but free. If I fed kibble I'd look into the kong wobbler but there are many others. Makes meal time much more fun for the dog and a lot of fun for the humans in the family as well. The dog went from eating in 3.5 seconds to finishing in 20 minutes. Much better.

#3 · (Edited)
My dogs really like the Kong Wobbler. Not only does it slow down their eating quite a bit, it's also fun and mentally stimulating! I did find that in a smaller room some of the kibble can get lost under furniture when the dogs really start flinging it around. I don't use the Wobbler anymore though since my dogs started fighting over it :- ( Now they get fed in separate rooms. Kane eats from this one: http://www.bowhouse.com.au/p/979906/slow-feed-dog-bowls---perfect-for-dogs-that-overeat-or-wolf-down-their-food.html. Pepper has a regular bowl with a slow-down ball in it similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/Omega-Paw-Small-Portion-Porcelain/dp/B018OIEY7O/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1509652339&sr=1-3&keywords=portion+pacer&dpID=51zJ6psyl-L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch. The ball I got at the dollar store for $3. They both work okay. It takes 3-4 mintues for them to finish a meal now instead of 30 seconds. With the Kong Wobbler it took about 5-10 minutes.

I have heard of people using a tennis ball in the bowl to slow the dogs down, but that didn't work for us. The tennis ball would just get lifted up and over the side in their enthusiasm to eat. Even with the one I have now that's heavy Kane will still get it out of the bowl part way through eating, which is why he uses the other bowl and Pepper gets the one with the ball.

I'm not sure eating slower will help with your dog eating her poop, but it's worth a try. Kane sometimes does that too and I haven't been able to find a solution. He was worse when they were on raw food. I think it was just too tasty. :doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.