Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a car harness for Bentley. However I need some recommendations on the best ones. He's not really squirmy and doesn't try to get out of his harnesses, but one that would be difficult for him to get out of would be best (just in case). I want him to be able to sit AND lay down while it's on, so a little leeway is good, but not too much. He has started getting carsick lately (which is another thing I have to find a way to deal with too), so keeping him in one general area, safely and comfortably, is my goal. I need one that works with a three-point belt (front seat) and a lap belt for the back seat.

So any good ones out there?

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
My only experience is with Kurgo. We have the zipline with harnesses.

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
I have used the Easy Rider which I bought at a local pet store and found it to be sufficient; it attached using the seat belt.

I currently use the Bergan car harness which attached with a fixed point tether with carabiners on either end; you attach it to the child restraint LATCH system OR to the base of the seat belt (not the seat belt itself, but the clip for it)
Like this (ignore the dog hair of course)

I like this harness for several reasons-
it has a wide, sturdy but soft neoprene chest panel that spreads impact over the rib cage.
by attaching to the LATCH system or the seat belt base, the seat belt remains usable for a person if need be and if not, it cannot become undone (one dog has figured out how to press the release button to unlatch the seat belt....)
I have done a 35 mph panic stop with it, and my 75 lbs hound dog was thrown forward a bit but held on the seat with this restraint.
It is easy to take on and off; it is very adjustable but once adjusted to a specific dog, I stitch the straps on the right place because they do have a tendency to slip a bit on longer car drive or with extra wiggling.

No matter which harness you choose, I HIGHLY suggest not having the dog in the front seat. Like with small children, they can be seriously injured if the air bag goes off (which it can do in very minor crashes)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Honestly? I've simply found myself a nice S-biner and I clip Jax's harness to the lap portion of the seatbelt, with the seatbelt buckled. I put him in the rear passenger seat and while he has slack to sit or lay down, he hardly has enough to get further than the middle of the seat or to stick his head out the window. I leave the S-biner on the seatbelt, so when putting him in, I just snap it to his harness, and to let him out as as simple as unhooking the S-biner and snapping on his leash in its place and off we go.

Just for an idea, here's the harness I use and an S-biner.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751397&lmdn=SHOP+FOR
http://shopping.yahoo.com/740076356-s-biner-plastic-4-large-coyoteblack-sbp4-03-28bg/;_ylt=Aup8e_kBxvaBQg9OPfXc8P4bFt0A

1 - 5 of 5 Posts