Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very frustrated: The specialty store that is a pain to go to, but still doable, is closing. There are other specialty stores around, but not ones that fit into my travels at all, so I am going to try to make do at PetCo (which is around the corner).

I currently feed Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice, and Snyder does well on it. I do not wish to go down in quality, but I do not want to spend a ridiculous amount more, either.

My initial research brought Blue Buffalo up as a potential. It is more money for a smaller bag, but it looks like I'd feed a cup a day less, too. (Albeit not much: If I'm reading it properly, I would feed 2 3/4 cups a day as opposed to 3 cups a day.)

Any other suggestions? Any problems with Blue Buffalo? I hope to have at least another option in case Snyder does not take well to the BB.

I *really* don't want to switch foods. It is never fun.

·
Registered
500 Posts
There are several choices at PetCo. Blue Buffalo like you mentioned, also Wellness Core, Solid Gold, Halo, Natural Balance, Castor and Pollux to name a few. They probably have more natural foods than any of the larger chains. Blue Buffalo is probably the closest to diamond naturals.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any thoughts as to which is better: Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice or Castor and Pollux Ultramix?

It looks like the Castor and Pollux would be more economical even though it costs more than BB.

Here are the ingredients for easy comparison

Blue Buffalo

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye, Whole Potatoes, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Taurine, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Shidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Turmeric, Garlic, Sunflower Oil (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Herring Oil (natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Fructooligosaccharides, Monooligosaccharides, Dried Chicory Root, Black Malted Barley, Oil of Rosemary, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin C, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Potassium Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Salt, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, Bifidobacterium longum, Enterococcus faecium.

Guaranteed analysis:
Crude Protein 25.0% min
Crude Fat 14.0% min
Crude Fiber 4.0% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Calcium 1.0% min
Phosphorus 0.90% min
L-Carnitine* 100 mg/kg min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.25% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 3.50% min
Beta Carotene* 5.0 mg/kg min
Glucosamine* 400 mg/kg max

Castor and Pollux
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Oats Groats, Potatoes, Turkey Meal, Chicken Fat preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (form of vitamin E), Fruit and Vegetable Mix (Dried Carrots, Dried Bananas, Dried Papaya, Dried Apples, Dried Blueberries), Salmon Meal, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Natural Chicken Flavor, Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Chicken Cartilage. Monocalcium Phospate, Ascorbyl-2 Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C). Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Maganese Proteinate. Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement. Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate. Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1). Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6). Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin K1 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement. Cobalt Carbonate,Yeast Culture (Saccharomyes Cerevisiae), Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacilus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergilus Niger Fermentaion Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract and Fermentation Solubles.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein, min 26.00%,
Crude Fat, min 14.00%,
Crude Fiber, max 3.00%,
Moisture, max 10.00%,
Calcium, min 1.00%,
Phosphorus, min 0.90%,
Omega 6 Fatty Acids, min 2.00%*,
Omega 3 Fatty Acids, min 0.28%*,
Glucosamine, min 150 ppm*,
Chondroitin Sulfate, min 75 ppm*.
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
There's a bit of variation in how manufacturers determine their recommended feeding amounts; it's usually better to calculate it yourself based on energy density. If, like me, you don't have a kitchen scale, you have to go by volume (which is less accurate) instead of mass, but you're still have more control over the variables.

According to their website, Blue Buffalo Chicken & Rice is 3682 kCal/kg (1670 kCal/lb) by mass, 462 kCal/cup by volume (which is pretty high).

I was unable to find the same information on Castor & Pollux, but given their recommended servings and ingredient list, I'd estimate that they're in the same range.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, heck, I don't know what to buy.

Honestly, I'm not someone who insists on premium foods. I want to get something close to what I'm already feeding him that won't break the bank. Right now I spend $15ish a month on food. (A 40 pound bag of Diamond Naturals lasts 7 weeks.)

If it costs $20 or $25, so be it.

Most importantly, I want the transition to go as smoothly as possible.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Nature's Recipe is a good food for a good price. Not sure if PetCo has it, PetSmart does.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi...your dog pic looks just like my last dog - His name was Oreo -- he's a beauty!

I feed my dog Blue Buffalo Dry Food -- he's had the Chicken & the Lamb....they also have Fish. He really likes it and is doing very good on it....his coat is alot shinier & softer and he's been shedding less. His energy level is great (but that never was a problem)....

He is 1 yr old - 54 lbs and I give him 1 Cup in the morning and 1/2 Cup at night along with Boiled/Baked Chicken or Pot Roast/Beef Stew (1 Cup)

Blue costs $16.99 for a 5lb bag -- l've seen the larger bags on sale alot.

....and their Website will send you a $5.00 off coupon if you ask for it.

Good Luck:)Donna & Chubby

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 65 lb. Aussie who has been on the Blue Buffalo Lamb & Rice for over 4 years. He does great on it...shiny coat, lots of energy, etc. I also like the fact that they have their Life Source Bits as separate kibble in the product. They are the vitamins and nutrients but they are cold formed rather than hot processed. This way they don't lose their potency like they would if they were part of the feed so the dogs get the benefit of the vitamins, etc. Some dogs I understand don't eat the "bits." I have never had a problem. My dog eats it all! And I have also found that I feed on the low side of the recommended guidelines and he is quite satisfied.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts