Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for opinions on what the best canned food that is out there. I was thinking Blue Buffalo, but I see that their line is all 4 star. What's the best out there, price not a consideration?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
They don't have a puppy specific wet food, but I use 4healths patte canned food mainly and I use their turkey stew from time to time. My dogs all love it, and the cans are .99 cents a piece. They have salmon and potato, chicken and rice, and lamb and rice pattes, and turkey, chicken and beef stews. I have stopped using the beef stews as it wasn't agreeing with my dogs and the ones that we got were always mainly liquid and very little beef, but that just maybe the batches we got.

It's not 5 stars (4.5 I saw for the beef stew), but that really doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Side question about 4Health salmon and potato for adult dogs - I just rotated from Costco Kirkland (not part of the recall) to 4Health for my 11 yo old dog. I usually rotate for 3 - 4 mos.... What benefits might we see? And how quickly?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
There is no one best food but there are many great quality foods. I feed Nature's Variety Instinct and my dogs do GREAT on it. If price were no consideration for me, however, I would either feed Raw or Ziwi Peak.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Side question about 4Health salmon and potato for adult dogs - I just rotated from Costco Kirkland (not part of the recall) to 4Health for my 11 yo old dog. I usually rotate for 3 - 4 mos.... What benefits might we see? And how quickly?
I just tried a small bag of the 4Health Salmon and Potato for my dogs. They like it. They all eat 4Health Chicken and Rice or the Lamb and Rice. I just also purchased the 4Health Small Bites for the boys. They do great on this food!

I also add Wellness Super 5 Mix dry to the boys bowls. It seems that the more expensive the food ... my dogs like it less? I just have two weird small dogs! Lol!

But they are in good shape overall. Blu Boy who is almost 6 years old now has begun to act like a pup again with adding the Wellness Super 5 Mix dry to his meals.

If I were to go with canned ... I would definitely give my boys Wellness or Wellness Core canned. :)

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
OP- how much are you willing to spend per can?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
My pup eats Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul, which is the dumbest name ever, but he's healthy and strong and active with a super shiny coat, so I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My pup eats Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul, which is the dumbest name ever, but he's healthy and strong and active with a super shiny coat, so I'm happy with it.
It has unnamed fish ingredients which would make me nervous, as well as all the grain sources.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I read to the bottom but couldn't find the named sources, just that it is free of the ethy-stuff. I still don't like all the grain sources, as well as tomato pomace. Dogfoodadvisor lists it as 4 stars.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I read to the bottom but couldn't find the named sources, just that it is free of the ethy-stuff. I still don't like all the grain sources, as well as tomato pomace. Dogfoodadvisor lists it as 4 stars.
I guess that's why there's so many different dog foods! Everyone can pick what they like and works well for their pet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like Natural Balance dog food because it is formulated for all life stages from puppy to adult so u don't have to worry about switching foods.

·
Registered
643 Posts
When my Melodie was a puppy, she loved Wellness Puppy canned food, except that it was too rich for her tummy. We eventually went to raw for awhile to help straighten out her tummy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like Canidae. Canidae All Life Stages Formula is made with four high-quality protein sources including chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal and ocean fish meal to provide your puppy with the protein he needs to grow strong.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts