Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to feed my dog decent food.I started off with Nutro,but heard bad things about it and swithed to IAMS.Which probably isn't any better.Heres the deal,I don't have a lot of cash flow.I'm trying to get the best puppy food for my pup in the $15-$20 range for a 20 lb bag.I don't think IAMS was a very good choice.I didn't want to get her Purina puppy chow since they changed formula and put red dye in the food. Could you recomend me a good choice and where I could find it?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Money is tight for lots and lots of people right now....personally I don't think Nutro and Iams are horrible foods, but the deal with nutro is that there have been some recalls and with Iams there was a stink over animal testing, but I don't know the whole story there...I personally feed Purina One and I'm very pleased with it. Maxximum at walmart is alright as well.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I feed diamond natural. It's $30.00 for 44 pounds. I get it at TSC.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Blue Buffalo is a great food -- you can get it in PetSmart or Petco for $ 25.99 for a 15 lb bag :):)

Great Ingredients!....

·
Registered
282 Posts
It's hard to say as prices vary so much from state to state and even from store to store...

Personally, I would go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com and look up any of there food starting in their 4 star category. If I had to feed my dogs kibble, and if I could afford to, I wouldn't feed anything under four stars. If that isn't an option for you, I'd look in the three start category and hopefully you'll be able to find something that will fit in your budget there.

A few of the brands in the four star category are:

Blue Buffalo
Avoderm
By Nature
C&P's
Merrick
Natural Balance
Eagle Pack
Life4K9
Cloud Star
Flint River
Premium Edge

There's a lot of others, those are just ones that come to mind off the top of my head...I know with Merrick, they normally offer coupons on their web site, you can buy one five pound bag get one five pound bag free and it's a standing offer so that might be of help to you if you can get it locally.

A lot of stores have programs too, you buy so many bags you get one free so you might want to check into that...

Good luck finding a new dog food!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Money is tight for lots and lots of people right now....personally I don't think Nutro and Iams are horrible foods, but the deal with nutro is that there have been some recalls and with Iams there was a stink over animal testing, but I don't know the whole story there...I personally feed Purina One and I'm very pleased with it. Maxximum at walmart is alright as well.
I was going to get Purina One,but changed my mind. Now I wish I had. IAMS has a bad odor to it. It reminds of fish food you use to feed fish at hatcheries.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts