Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say you have a dog that has some sort of health issue(not my dog) and the vet wants to put him or her on a prescribed diet. What prescribed diet brand depending on health issue would be best:

Royal Canin
Science Diet
Purina
I believe Iams has prescribed diets also. Again, depending on the issue/condition, which brand is better?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I can not say as i have only ever used the science diet Rx canned foods, for short periods of time, During my time with the shelter and for my parents cat who could only hold down the Rx K/D and A/D formulas, anything else would cause him extreme issues. (He had under developed kidneys, epilepsy and in his later years needed to have surgery to remove part of his Colon/intestines due to blockage, stones.!!)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can not say as i have only ever used the science diet Rx canned foods, for short periods of time, During my time with the shelter and for my parents cat who could only hold down the Rx K/D and A/D formulas, anything else would cause him extreme issues. (He had under developed kidneys, epilepsy and in his later years needed to have surgery to remove part of his Colon/intestines due to blockage, stones.!!)

Oh my god. Poor cat.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Royal Canin is the best RX diets IMO, though their "allergy" foods are not very allergy friendly lol, aside from that one if I "had" to feed an RX diet I would prefere RC to the other ones.

·
Registered
933 Posts
"Oh my god. Poor cat."

Even with all those issues he still lived to just shy of 13. His epilepsy was able to be controlled by medication and he only had major issues with food after his colon surgery (which he had at around age 10 or 11).

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Royal Canin for sure.

Here is one of RC's RX foods:

INGREDIENTS: Dried potato, rabbit meal, coconut oil, potato protein, natural flavors, vegetable oil, fish oil, monocalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, DL-methionine, salt, choline chloride, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl- 2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, niacin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], taurine, trace minerals (zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

Here's Purina EN:
Brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, chicken meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), coconut oil, calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, wheat bran, animal digest, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, sodium bicarbonate, salt, fish oil, zinc proteinate, Vitamin E supplement, dried colostrum, choline chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, copper proteinate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My vet sells Royal Canin, and really believes in it, as does a friend of mine's vet.

·
Registered
545 Posts
We used the SD Rx diet for Colby's GI issues for a short time. It worked, but since the ingredients are such crap, I didn't want her on it long-term. I don't have any experience with any of the other brands, however pet food advisor rates them as such:

Purina Rx - 2/5 stars
Iams Rx - 2.5/5 stars
Science Rx Diet - 2.5/5 stars
Royal Canin Rx - 3/5 stars

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Two of my cats eat Royal Canin Urinary SO because...

Hill's C/D = Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, DL-Methionine, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Rosemary Extract, Beta-Carotene.

Purina UR = Corn gluten meal, chicken, poultry by-product meal, brewers rice, oat fiber, wheat gluten, whole grain corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salt, animal liver flavor, phosphoric acid, dried egg product, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, fish oil, choline chloride, taurine, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Iams Urinary = Corn Grits, Chicken Liver, Chicken By-Product Meal, Chicken, Herring Meal (source of Fish Oil), Brewer's Rice, Dried Egg Product, Chicken By-Products, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Calcium Chloride, Chicken Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Bisulfate, DL-Methionine, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Choline Chloride, Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate [source of Vitamin B1], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [source of Vitamin B6], Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement [source of Vitamin B2], Inositol, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Calcium Carbonate, Rosemary Extract

Royal Canin Urinary SO = Chicken meal, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, corn, chicken fat, natural flavors, soy protein isolate, powdered cellulose, salt, dried egg product, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, calcium sulfate, fish oil, sodium bisulfate, vegetable oil, taurine, choline chloride, DL-methionine, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), niacin supplement, biotin, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), trace minerals [zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

Royal canin is the only one where meat is the first ingredient - and sadly at #3, it has corn the furthest down on the ingredients list.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The vet wanted my cat on RX food due to urinary issues. He sells Science Diet. But I just didn't like the ingredients in it. So I took the ingredients and analysis breakdown, I knew I needed low ash and looked for something equivalent with better ingredients. I found several that would work and one I could actually afford! LOL
This may not work with every RX, food. But I think you can often find better non RX food, to use in place of RX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts