Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking for advice on anyone who has pet insurance and is happy with it.

I am looking at purchasing insurance for my dogs and there seems to be a lot of options. I want to make sure to pick a good provider.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
we just got best pet insurance, they seem to be the best, but trupanion's reimbursement time laps is way shorter, supposedly in 24 hours within filing...we pay about 37 dollars a month and we have a 12,000 vet expense max per year. (trupanion is 20k lifetime) and we also get some little things like prescription coveerage as well as kennel coverage (along with accident and illness coverage). Unfortanely there's a 2 week waiting period for the coverage to kick in, and they wont cover any preexisting conditions...:(

hope this helps :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like Pet Plan insurance (http://www.gopetplan.com/) for adult dogs. They don't cover any preventative things like spay/neuter, flea, heartworm stuff. But they do cover illness, injury. The best thing about this is the lower fees and the fact that they will cover 100% of the vet bill just based on the receipt, not an internal fee schedule. I will switch to this sometime after my puppy's first or second birthday. With all the up front vet bills that come with a puppy, this plan would not be worth it since it won't cover any of it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I like Pet Plan the best and signed up both my pups as soon as they came home at 9 weeks, and 8 weeks old.

Pet Plan is one of only two companies that cover hereditary conditions like Hip Dysplasia, they are the only company that covers TRUE cost instead of what they think the cost should be. They also do not exclude an injury or illness after the first year you make a claim.

So say a pup is diagnosed with hip dysplasia. The cover the costs associated with the diagnosis, they cover the meds, and if 3 years down the line the pup needed a total hip replacement they would cover that as well. Most other companies wouldn't cover any of it or if they did they would only cover the cost for the first year and then exclude the hips from coverage after that.

The only other company I would consider looking at would be Embrace, who will also cover hereditary conditions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks for the advice guys i am going to look all these over. loos like pet plan seems to be a favorite. i am mainly getting it for if my doxies ever have back problems. which i believe would be a considered a hereditary problem correct. a few friends said something about vpi has anyone else heard of them?

wow this is some serious stuff

·
Registered
15 Posts
I never bother getting pet insurance before, so I check into Pet Plan.

It said I can't get it because my dog is over 7 years old. Now if I would have gotten it when she was a pup, she would have been covered for life. Darn

·
Registered
33 Posts
they are the only company that covers TRUE cost instead of what they think the cost should be. They also do not exclude an injury or illness after the first year you make a claim.
They may have changed their policy, because in today's policy they state they will cover "reasonable costs" defined as...

The usual and customary fee charged for a given treatment or procedure within the geographic area in which the fees are incurred, as defined by the most recent American Animal Hospital Association Veterinary Fee Reference Guide.
So that doesn't mean they will cover the cost if your vet charges more than what they deem "reasonable".

·
Registered
126 Posts
They may have changed their policy, because in today's policy they state they will cover "reasonable costs" defined as...

So that doesn't mean they will cover the cost if your vet charges more than what they deem "reasonable".
Wow, that is good to know. I wish I could see what kind of costs it would cover without buying the entire book. My vet is quite expensive, I'd say around $500-600 for a neuter for a small dog under 10 lbs with no problems. I got it done elsewhere since it was so pricey here, but if I had insurance I would take him to this more expensive hospital since it has 20+ doctors, is 24 hrs, and has access to like everything.

For those wondering, I am thinking of Pet Plan, getting the $200 deductible and 100% coverage. Here is my reasoning: I want insurance for emergencies. Broken leg, poisoning, etc.. that is going to cost a lot. If he gets something like hip or knee problems that will be covered 100%. I can cover his shots and small things that are less than $200. Just if he gets something that costs $2000+, I will only have to pay $200. I think it is around $27 or $28 per month for what I want.

I've been reading a lot on pet insurance, and I have heard a lot of good things about pet plan.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow, that is good to know. I wish I could see what kind of costs it would cover without buying the entire book. My vet is quite expensive, I'd say around $500-600 for a neuter for a small dog under 10 lbs with no problems. I got it done elsewhere since it was so pricey here, but if I had insurance I would take him to this more expensive hospital since it has 20+ doctors, is 24 hrs, and has access to like everything.

For those wondering, I am thinking of Pet Plan, getting the $200 deductible and 100% coverage. Here is my reasoning: I want insurance for emergencies. Broken leg, poisoning, etc.. that is going to cost a lot. If he gets something like hip or knee problems that will be covered 100%. I can cover his shots and small things that are less than $200. Just if he gets something that costs $2000+, I will only have to pay $200. I think it is around $27 or $28 per month for what I want.

I've been reading a lot on pet insurance, and I have heard a lot of good things about pet plan.
Every insurance company will send you their declarations page upon request. I couldn't find it on Pet Plan's website, but if you give them a call they will email it to you. You can view Trupanion's policy here.

Check out my post here for info why I switched from Pet Plan to Trupanion.

I'm with you...I can cover the small stuff...it's the major stuff I want covered and from my interpretation of the fine print it looks like Trupanion covers more with fewer restrictions.

All I can say is make sure to read the fine print with a fine tooth comb!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out. They did change the policy as far as that goes, which stinks. I'm going to stick with them though. They still cover the most and are the only one I can get without a co-pay. I also like that I have $20,000 per year, instead of lifetime.

The policy you posted says it does not cover hip dysplasia unless you pay extra and has a ton of restrictions if your pet is not spayed before a year old. Since I have giant breed dogs I definitely want hip dysplasia coverage and my one girl is of a breed prone to urinary incontinence. Part of helping to prevent that (as well as hip dysplasia) is not spaying her until she is over a year old.

For pets that have not been neutered or spayed prior to their first birthday, no coverage shall apply for illness related to prostate problems, hormonal skin conditions, testicular tumors, perianal tumors, mammary tumors, uterine and ovarian conditions, birthing; or injury due to fighting, collision with a motor vehicle or aggressive behavior.
Apparently she also wouldn't be covered if she was hit by a car.

I do agree that it all comes down to what each individual feels is best, but for me I like the expanded coverage of PetPlan.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Apparently she also wouldn't be covered if she was hit by a car.

I do agree that it all comes down to what each individual feels is best, but for me I like the expanded coverage of PetPlan.
That's a very valid point. My dog has been spayed so I skimmed that paragraph. I think they do not cover car accidents because if they are not spayed/neutered they are more likely to roam I guess? I'd be interested to know that if the dog is not spayed/neutered within the first year then does coverage begin when they are spayed/neutered or never?

They also said (on the phone) they no longer require a physical exam prior to coverage so maybe they're changing parts of their policy too? Not sure.

FWIW...the hip dysplasia is an optional rider that costs a little over $5/month.

·
Registered
361 Posts
FWIW...the hip dysplasia is an optional rider that costs a little over $5/month.
It said that is only available on dogs under a year old when you apply, at least according to the "compare" page. My girls will both be a year within the next month so are no longer eligible.

It also seemed to imply to me that you never get the excluded coverage unless your pet is spayed/neutered before a year old. It says it won't cover those things for a pet not spayed/neutered prior to a year but has no exception for a pet becoming eligible once again after being fixed.

I do want to say that I think this looks like a good insurance company if you have a pet fixed at under a year old and you sign up before a year old and get the hip dysplasia rider. I think there are probably a lot of people who could fall into that category.

It just goes to show that pet insurance is something that needs to be closely looked at and decided upon on an individual basis.

·
Registered
113 Posts

The usual and customary fee charged for a given treatment or procedure within the geographic area in which the fees are incurred, as defined by the most recent American Animal Hospital Association Veterinary Fee Reference Guide.

I noticed this comparison on Trupanion's web site and was surprised to find that. So I checked with my PetPlan documents and found their definition of reasonable costs. Reasonable costs is defined as: "The fees regularly charged for a given treatment or procedure within the veterinary facility in which the fees are incurred." So this is materially different than what the Trupanion web site is pitching.

But, I'm not really trying to push for either one of these insurance companies, both seem to be pretty good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I noticed this comparison on Trupanion's web site and was surprised to find that. So I checked with my PetPlan documents and found their definition of reasonable costs. Reasonable costs is defined as: "The fees regularly charged for a given treatment or procedure within the veterinary facility in which the fees are incurred." So this is materially different than what the Trupanion web site is pitching.
I asked them about that and they said told me they do not know nor do they ask what other clients are charged so not sure what that legal speak means.

But, I'm not really trying to push for either one of these insurance companies, both seem to be pretty good.
I agree, I'm just trying to wade through everything and make a solid choice. The more opinions, ideas, and questions the better! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts