Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After what happened to my dear Izze I have been entertaining the thought of pet insurance, but how to I choose one & which one is best in terms of services?

Also I'm familiar with the fact that you have to pay first then be reimbursed later, but how long does that usually take?

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
After what happened to my dear Izze I have been entertaining the thought of pet insurance, but how to I choose one & which one is best in terms of services?

Also I'm familiar with the fact that you have to pay first then be reimbursed later, but how long does that usually take?
I have VPI and I have been very happy with it. As far as turn around to get your money on claims. About 10-24 days.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I used to have PetFirst but cancelled it when they not only had raised rates, but the amount of deductible per visit. It was also taking them about 6 weeks for reimbursement. I have Embrace now, but haven't needed to file a claim. There are a lot of considerations in selecting the plan that's best for you. This link may help: http://www.petinsurancereview.com/

·
Registered
131 Posts
I used to be against buying pet insurance, but I found a newer company that seems really promising...Healthy Paws Pet Insurance. They cover breed specific conditions & hip displaysia which is very rare for any pet insurance company. They also do NOT have a "ceiling" on what they will pay out. They have the highest rating of any company and their customer service has already been great even though I have not had to file a claim (though it seems from reviews that most claims are paid in about 3-4 business days). It does take 15 days for coverage to begin once you sign up, which is a bit of a gamble, but I didn't mind it too much...that was really the only downside at all. I pay about $35 a month for a $50 deductible and 90% coverage. I figure I am putting out a bit of money, but if anything ever happens, it will be worth it...vet bills can get extremely expensive. I am also saving money in an account, but it will be reassuring that if I ever use those savings for a vet emergency, I will be reimbursed!

ETA: They also apply some of the premium you pay to homeless animals which I think is GREAT!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I used to be against buying pet insurance, but I found a newer company that seems really promising...Healthy Paws Pet Insurance. They cover breed specific conditions & hip displaysia which is very rare for any pet insurance company. They also do NOT have a "ceiling" on what they will pay out. They have the highest rating of any company and their customer service has already been great even though I have not had to file a claim (though it seems from reviews that most claims are paid in about 3-4 business days). It does take 15 days for coverage to begin once you sign up, which is a bit of a gamble, but I didn't mind it too much...that was really the only downside at all. I pay about $35 a month for a $50 deductible and 90% coverage. I figure I am putting out a bit of money, but if anything ever happens, it will be worth it...vet bills can get extremely expensive. I am also saving money in an account, but it will be reassuring that if I ever use those savings for a vet emergency, I will be reimbursed!

ETA: They also apply some of the premium you pay to homeless animals which I think is GREAT!
I have Healthy Paws, too and I've been very happy with them so far. My premium is $27/month. I quickly met my $250 deductible and once repayments kicked in, I received them very quickly. Usually within a week or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts