Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've read Dr. Dunbar's "before you get your puppy" book that was posted in this thread.

However, all of the #1 and 2 "best" books & videos that are recommended were actually written by Dunbar himself! He even was the publisher for the "Culture Clash." I know that these books offer good advice, but the self-interest is extremely off-putting.

My question: can you recommend any good training/raising puppy books that Dr. Dunbar has not been involved in?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting take, but you may want to consider the business aspect of publishing your own books before assuming so much of Dunbar.

http://www.dogwise.com/search.cfm
He writes a simple guide, and then we see that the top books that he recommends are all his own. Business-wise, that's smart, I understand that. I'm just looking for a different take.

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I'd look up Patricia McConnell, Stanley Coren and Karen Pryor, but I'm not sure if they're associated with Dunbar in any way. They may very well be.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'd look up Patricia McConnell
I LOVE her. Especially The Other End of the Leash. She is quickly becoming one of my favorites. And I'm not that crazy about Dunbar.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
I picked up a great video at our library recently and really liked the training techniques...the author has several videos, don't know about books...David Dikeman.

Our dogs have all been through basic obedience, some competitive obedience, and agility. But these videos were great as a refresher for our dogs and gave me some new ideas.

Not on the subject of training, but more to understand a dog...Merle's Door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts