Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 dogs; a one year old I have had for a year pointer mix (very rowdy/maybe a little too much at times). I also have an 8 month old pointer that I have had about a month (more submissive/very sweet but almost too shy).

I have them both in obedience but they still need a lot of work and the male needs to learn to play less rough.

I just want to know the number one must read dog books.... that could be based on this information or not necessarily.

I just feel like I need a little help with these guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I like to read a lot of dog breed books. I have one, but it's not up-to-date and the one from Victoria Stilwell (a good and reliable trainer) and I have a book from her about training. I used it with Luke and love it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have to agree. Just read as much as you can about pointers, learn more about their behaviour and honestly, just watch your dogs. I know you do, but just sit a few days and just REALLY observe their behaviour. Try a few different methods and see what they respond to. Also see what kind of praise they respond best to. Some respond well to physical praise while training, while others respond better to food rewards. Just be extra observant and try to find what will work best for your dogs and go from there. All dogs are different so there really isn't a tell-all instruction manual to training. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts