Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Votes on the best dog food (in the states) for large breed puppies? Just looking for ideas as to what to buy, I'm thinking about Pedigree because that's what we gave the dogs at the shelter (mixed with Alpo wet food), but still not sure. Curious as to what you veterans would recommend. :b

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Pedigree and Alpo will never come anywhere near my dogs, they are horrible quality. Basically I wouldn't feed anything I've ever seen advertised on tv. Try these http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/5-star/

If you are on a tight budget I'd suggest "Taste of the Wild", or look for "Nature's Domain" at Costco.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
What do you consider "mainstream"?

I agree that Pedigree is junk. If you look at the ingredient list, it's the same as Ol' Roy. . .

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Petsmart will have a few decent foods. Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Innova, maybe a couple others. But the big box pet stores are usually somewhat overpriced. You pay for the convenience, I guess.

Do you have a Tractor Supply Co close by? They have a good selection and very good prices. Once you figure out what food you want to try, you can run their store locator and see who else sells it. Sometimes even the little boutique pet shops have better food prices than the big box stores.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Seems like every month there is a new "best for your dog" type of dog food out there. If you need to limit your choices to what's easilly availible at petsmart (I completely understand) then I would check ingredients and nutritional info on what is there versus what you know to be the best you would like to feed them.

If you have a Tractor Supply Co. store near you I second the reccomendation for Taste of the Wild.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Ooh I lied when I said "I wouldn't feed anything I've ever seen advertised on tv" because there have recently been ads for Petsmart that they now have better food like Wellness Core.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have a local pet store that's really good, but he carries more supplies for reptiles/birds/small animals than he does dogs (which works for my python, but not my dog haha), I didn't even think to check Tractor Supply. >< Thanks. Haha.

Any opinion on Eukanuba Pure? The list that was given rated it as above-average and said it was a recommended dog food, along with individual reviews I saw for it and at even Petsmart I can get it for about a dollar a pound, so I'm sure I could get it cheaper elsewhere as well. The non-chelated minerals in the dog food could be supplemented with a small helping of a better wet food, so that's not too big of an issue. The carb count is decently high, though, and with a high energy dog, that's a primary concern of mine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only thing I know that I absolutely DO NOT want is animal by-product. Otherwise something high in omega-3 and folic acid and relatively high carb and protein would be nice, along with something to help his coat.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Any opinion on Eukanuba Pure? The list that was given rated it as above-average and said it was a recommended dog food, along with individual reviews I saw for it and at even Petsmart I can get it for about a dollar a pound, so I'm sure I could get it cheaper elsewhere as well. The non-chelated minerals in the dog food could be supplemented with a small helping of a better wet food, so that's not too big of an issue. The carb count is decently high, though, and with a high energy dog, that's a primary concern of mine.
It looks ok for the price, though for comparable foods I would recommend 4Health and Whole Earth Farms over it. That sweetener way down on the list probably isn't any major concern but I'm not thrilled about it either.

Here's a review for you.

Just saw a good article on the Top 5 Best Dog Food of 2012 Reviewed . I agree with some of the ones on the list and curious what people's own personal experiences have been.

Kat
I would personally recommend all the foods on that list.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use the Blue Buffalo because they have no wheat or soy or by-product for that matter. And I like that they have different varieties ... which some I am still trying to figure out. I started Loki on their Wilderness formula but it had TOO much protein in it for him .. made for one smelly pup! Now I just use basic large breed formula and that goes over well. I also have it for the cats and they prefer it by far!

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you're looking for a "good" food available at grocery stores, you might want to try Rachel Ray's Nutrish. I have to admit, I laughed when I saw she was making dog food- LOL- but she does have a limited ingredient line and doesn't seem to add as much "filler" in as Pedigree, Beneful, etc. She also advocates rescue and I believe proceeds from the company go to rescue.

It's not DVP Natural Balance or TOTW for sure, but I think it's probably the best of the grocery store dog food out there.

Jen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did not realize Rachel Ray makes dog food now. Wow, that woman is certainly enterprising. I think she'll come up with a vitamin line soon. At least she has talent though unlike some of the popular "celebs" out there making a fortune for putting their name to stuff.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've fed my 11 month old Blue Buffalo's Large Breed Puppy Chicken/Rice Formula for about 6 months. It was recommended by his surgeon after we found out he had hip dysplasia (large breed formula even though he's an aussie mix weighing about 45lbs.). Although it's definitely not a cheap dog food, it's not the most expensive, and my neighborhood Petsmart carries the full line. Aside from the difference in quality/ingredients, I felt like there was something to be said for his doctor to recommend. He suggested Orijen if BB wasn't a good match for him.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Did not realize Rachel Ray makes dog food now. Wow, that woman is certainly enterprising. I think she'll come up with a vitamin line soon. At least she has talent though unlike some of the popular "celebs" out there making a fortune for putting their name to stuff.
Her dog food isn't rated very high on the pet food advisor website. I had hoped for better from her.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts