Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Lab mix and two small smooth-coated dogs. I do not like using the slicker brush, seems to harsh on the skin to me. Would a pin brush work well on my Lab mix? What would work best on a dog with a super short smooth coat (I was thinking just a nice soft cloth)? The Chihuahua is also smooth-coated but it's a lot thicker than the Chihuahua/Terrier cross. Does the brand matter?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
A pin brush will be useless. A slicker is best. And if used properly, will not harm the dog. Id get a zoom groom and furminator for a lab type coat. can also be used on the 2 smaller ones as well.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. The zoom looks good, think I'll get one of those. I actually had one but only used it during baths, never thought to use it otherwise. If the furminator is the one with a razor I do not want that.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
A greyhound comb and an undercoat rake should cover you for your entire gang. A pin brush probaly wouldn't do much since you don't have any long coated dogs. The under caot rake will get thru the Labs coat a get the bulk of the undercoat out and the grey hound comb will get out the rest. Bathing and a high power blower will also help to loosen and remove any dead hairs. You can also use a damp cloth on the short haired dogs to help pick up any loose hairs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts