Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Decided to put this here as I forgot to put it in my post here:
New Puppy in May! English Springer Spaniel

I work at a vet. And everything there is pretty much Hills. Including P/D. I was just curious if any of you recomend P/D for an ESS or if there is anything "better" for the breed to start on/be on.

I want whats best for my little guy, when he comes of course! Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
There are much, much better foods out there for any dog, regardless of breed, than Hill's. Hill's is pretty much the junk food of the dog world.

Generally speaking, dog food is dog food, no matter what size or shape your dog is. If you read back a couple of pages of this forum, you'll get an idea of how vast the world of dog nutrition is. There's wet, dry and raw. If you decide to go dry -- by far the easiest and the least complicated route -- then there's grain-free, high-protein, limited ingredient diets, all-life stages foods... it can get very overwhelming.

Worry not! Your puppy's not even here yet, so you're miles ahead of most people when they start learning about the dog food world. When I first discovered how complex this sphere really is, my dogs were 6 and 8, and had been on pretty low-quality stuff all their lives. I felt terrible.

If you're looking for a puppy food, Wellness, Solid Gold, Chicken Soup and Blue Buffalo are some of the brands that make high-quality food for pups. Otherwise, you could go for an all-life stages food (which basically means what you think it does -- you can feed it to a dog regardless of what life stage he's in, be it puppy, adult, senior) -- like Natural Balance or Taste of the Wild.

You can learn more about how to tell a good food from a bad one here:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com
http://www.dogaware.com

All the best and please post any other questions you might have!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have to recommend Orijin. I came here a while ago researching my dog's illness and food selection and everyone said Orijin. I'm only about 2 weeks into feeding it and you can see a remarkable difference in my dog. The food is top notch.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
You can also talk to your breeder and see what s/he feeds and/or recommends. At least to start, you'll probably want to feed whatever the pup's already been started on so there's one less new thing for the pup to worry about.

In the end, though, you'll find one or several foods that work the best for *your* dog :) and of course that's what you'll want to go with. Some dogs can't handle grain, some certain proteins, some have cast iron stomachs and can eat anything and everything and thrive, and some, like a dog on this board, can't eat anything processed at all.

As rosemaryninja so nicely put, there are about a billion 'what food is best' threads to check out...doing a search will save you a lot of time. If you find a couple foods that you like in theory, see if they are available in your area, and go from there.

My best luck in kibble was with Eagle Pack Holistics and Natural Balance. I had decent results with Innova and Canidae, and poor results with Purina, Iams, and Nature's Recipe. In the end though, my dog never stopped itching til I got away from kibble altogether...fortunately most dogs aren't that problematic.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks everyone.

I know how many foods there are, and P/D looks so...greesy. Which is why I was looking into getting a different food. I keep seeing people recommend Orijin so I'll look for that today while I'm at the pet store.

I'd LOVE to feed raw, but my parents won't let me (at least with the puppy). I've been trying to switch my ferrets over to that (as its a lot more health for them) but there being evil and wont. I'm a little to busy right now to fight with them.

Thanks again and I'll check out the links later (going to be late for work eeks)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Orijen is a fantastic kibble. There is some controversy about its high protein content and whether it should be fed to puppies. Some say the high percentage of protein will cause them to grow too fast and hinder bone development; others say it's the calcium : phosphorus ratio and ash content you need to worry about, not protein. As with all things, make an educated decision and see what works for you. It's also a tad expensive. Great ingredients, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts