Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a rat terrier and was wondering which food would be best in the price range of what i've been paying for nutro max (about $32 for 30 lb.)? thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
The best food is the the one that works for your dog, but Chicken Soup is a very good food on that price range.

I pay a bit more - not a lot - for Taste of the Wild grain free.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
depends on where you live and what you have available in your area really... what stores do you have access too? what country are in located in?(reccomending 4health for example is entirly pointless if you dont live in the US)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
depends on where you live and what you have available in your area really... what stores do you have access too? what country are in located in?(reccomending 4health for example is entirly pointless if you dont live in the US)
I live in sw florida. I have access to most pet stores (petsmart, petco, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
If there are any Tractor Supply stores or similar farm stores in your area, they will have a better selection of quality kibbles. Selection at the big pet chains is pretty limited, though I used to buy Sold Gold at a Petco.

I get Taste of the Wild at a farm store in a little town I pass through every day during my commute. They also carry Chicken Soup (for the Dog Lover's Soul,) Canidae and some other decent kibbles.

Sometimes animal shelters will actually sell some decent foods. Its also worth checking out smaller local pet stores (if you can find one.)

I've had some dogs do well on Purina One, which you can get everywhere, but one of my current dogs gets a chronically dry coat from it. As a general rule, if you can buy it at Wal-Mart or the super market, it's probably not your best choice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here are some budget foods you can check out:

1) Healthwise ( around $35 for 35 lbs, my parents feed this to their dog and he does really well on it,http://wtb.naturapet.com/?new=true )
2)Canidae
3) 4Health (sold only at tractor supply)
4) Whole Earth Farms(sold at petco)
5) Diamond Naturals
6) Kirkland Signature (only at costco)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
My dogs do very well on 4Health from Tractor Supply and Taste of the Wild - grain free. With a smaller dog the TOTW really is not much more expensive and grain free is good too, IMO.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I just switched my chihuahua over to Taste of the Wild and he is doing great on it. I get the 15 lb bag at Tractor Supply for around $26 and since he eats around a cup a day it's lasting forever. Because of the calorie content he's actually eating less, so even though it costs a little more per bag I'm not having to buy as often so the per/day cost is probably less than what he was eating before for a better quality food.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts