Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're planning a backpacking trip for the summer. It'll probably be four days long or so.

My concern with food is that the dogs will have to carry most of their own supplies in packs. I don't see a problem with this for Tyler and Ozzie but Kaki eats more than the daily recommended portion for a dog in her weight range(TOTW). Sometimes, she eats more than Ozzie who weighs 50lbs more than her.

So I need to keep weight on her and find a food that is dense with calories/protein/fat. I thought about trying dehydrated raw and/or Ziwi peak for the trip.

What about Orijen? I rotated that into her TOTW recently and there were no issues. Would that be enough for a an active dog with a freakish metabolism venturing out into the wilderness for days on end?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think your best bet is Ziwi Peak or something similar. Really light weight, calorie dense with very small portion sizes needed.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We will definitely be picking a spot that has almost constant access to water. That was one of the criteria for choosing a location mostly because summer+Colorado=killer heat.

I'll compare and contrast Ziwi Peak, Sojos, etc. the next time we go pick up our usual TOTW. My next biggest concern is her possibly getting the runs. I tried switching to Evo once and that time is still known as the Evo incident of '09 because of the major explosive poo... It was on the floor, the bed, the walls... It was everywhere.

Should I start trickling the new food into her diet prior to our trip? I don't really want to bring canned pumpkin with us but I guess that's an option on the table.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Take a lot more food than usual too. I packed 1.5x Sassy's usual, she got pot washing duty as well and she always came home from our short and easy backpacking trips a scarecrow. I suspect packing 2x the usual amount of food and making snacks fattier would be the way to go. Then you can add or subtract that fat as the dogs tolerate it. Something like carrying canned sardines you share with the dogs maybe? Use tuna packed in oil and give the dogs the oil?

At the time I was feeding a good quality kibble that was probably low fat and it was low protein. You are already doing better by your dogs than that.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Definitely start changing over a week or two before the trip.

I use Solid Gold Barking at the Moon for our multi-day backpacking trips.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I'll add Solid Gold to the list of possibilities.

Is there a certain kind of sardines that I need to get? Aren't there different sizes? I'm a vegetarian so whatever fatty goodness we bring will be for the dogs. Can the dogs eat tuna too?
I'm still not clear on what fish is and is not safe for dogs.

Kaki is sinew and bones as is so I'm glad I asked.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Freeze-dried food weighs almost nothing. . .I'd probably go with one of those. Stella & Chewy's, Nature's Variety, ZiwiPeak, etc.

Tuna is OK for dogs but not as fatty as sardines. Which is kind of the point, LOL.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Freeze-dried food weighs almost nothing. . .I'd probably go with one of those. Stella & Chewy's, Nature's Variety, ZiwiPeak, etc.

Tuna is OK for dogs but not as fatty as sardines. Which is kind of the point, LOL.

I fed canned sardines to my dogs when camping. They liked it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Kenda carries a stash of The Honest Kitchen food when we're camping where water is available. They make several varieties of dried foods; she likes Zeal and Embark best but many stores have sample packets available. You'll need to feed more than the usual ration, so pack heavy. More exercise = more food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts