Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'll probably regret it someday but I use a dogwalking belt, lol.
(Both my current boys seem fine off-leash, but depending on the circumstances I'm still being cautious, as one is intact and the other is pretty new, so surprises are possible. )

·
Super Moderator
2,513 Posts
i often use a 30' leash, if the dog is at out at anything less than 30' i constantly coil the remaining amount of leash up. If the dog does do the dash, as the remaining leash uncoils, i apply the brakes, all part of the process. Have gotten some rope burns more than once, nothing serious though. And of course theres always gloves for those with girly hands....
I can't say I've ever felt like my desire to keep my skin intact has been an integral part of my gender identity, but we all have our own internal experiences and it's important you do what feels right for you! The great thing about advice is there's no obligation to follow it if it's not appropriate in a given situation.

I like a walking belt for short lines (being able to train hands-free is awesome practice for good off-leash manners), but I find them really awkward on anything longer than a standard six-foot. This might be because I have smaller dogs who get their legs tangled in the lead if I accidentally give even the tiniest bit too much slack - I understand that this is much less of an issue with taller dogs!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Shock collars give a false sense of control, ESPECIALLY in the hands of someone whose dog training expertise comes from youtube rather than practical experience under the guidance of a skilled handler.
I've been using Ecollars for more than 10 years but thank you for your concern. You cannot always work a dog with a line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sami is a large lab who knows what she is supposed to do BUT sometimes chooses not to. Occasionally, and often unpredictably, she will bolt, going next door to visit the neighbor. Our yard is not fenced and does not lend itself to an invisible fence.

A recommended trainer in the area wants $250 an hour - 8 hour minimum - for ecollar training. Not ready for that.

I have the .mini-Educator, and Sami knows to come when I tap the "stimulate" button (level 10). At this stage of training, I only recall her when she is paying attention and there are few distractions.

I've watched a number of YouTube ecollar training videos, but I haven't found one that I felt did a thorough job.

Does anyone know of a YouTube trainer that does a great job explaining ecollar recall?
Thanks -
Dick
Sami is a large lab who knows what she is supposed to do BUT sometimes chooses not to. Occasionally, and often unpredictably, she will bolt, going next door to visit the neighbor. Our yard is not fenced and does not lend itself to an invisible fence.

A recommended trainer in the area wants $250 an hour - 8 hour minimum - for ecollar training. Not ready for that.

I have the .mini-Educator, and Sami knows to come when I tap the "stimulate" button (level 10). At this stage of training, I only recall her when she is paying attention and there are few distractions.

I've watched a number of YouTube ecollar training videos, but I haven't found one that I felt did a thorough job.

Does anyone know of a YouTube trainer that does a great job explaining ecollar recall?
Thanks -
Dick
Start with a clicker and charge the clicker by telling your dog to go to there place ,kennel , etc when they do so click immediately as they get on then a treat do this tell they understand completely where they need to go to get a treat. Once they have a clear understanding you can Incorporate the E collar have your dog with you and send them to their kennel hold vibrate once they get to the kennel vibrate shuts off. Do this for a few weeks dogs pick up how to shut the collar off very quickly do the same with recall

21 - 24 of 24 Posts