Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the best? Seems Eddee has stinky red itchy ears today ... have a vet appointment at noon.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: I keep reading the threads on here ...I do not know which is which .... Blue Power, Alcohol, Listerine, Witch Hazel ...... confusing! Plus the threads are old.

I don't use cleaners on the other dogs ... just good old wash cloths. They don't have any ear issues. Just Eddee. :(

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use raw apple cider vinegar - not sure if it's the best, but we've always used it.
Thank you!

Do you dilute it ... 50/50 with water?

I have Mometamax from the vet for 10 days. Eddee has a mild yeast infection. How often do you use the vinegar for maintenance?

Vet says it is hard to tell what they get these ear infections from .... diet, allergies, etc .....

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I tried vinegar on Kabota for the exact same thing and the way he whipped his head around and squealed, I think it really hurt. My vet sold me an ear cleaner that seems to be working (I'm using it 3x a week) and doesn't hurt, though it took Kabota a while to figure that out. It's $20 for 8 oz at the vet, but like I said, it works and it doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
When Katie had a bad infection (the vet described her ears as "gross") Mometamax worked great. More recently, my vet recommended Zymox once daily for seven days for a very mild yeast infection and then once weekly for general cleaning. Epi-Otic is another purchased cleaner that has been recommended.

I've seen folks recommend vinegar, witch hazel, peroxide, even everclear... I'm still a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to most home remedies, especially with delicate ears. Next time Katie goes to the groomer, I'll have my husband ask what they recommend (they're long-time poodle people and I trust them).

Much of what I've been told / read is that food allergies are often at the root of frequent ear infections. If regular cleaning doesn't help, you might want to explore other food options.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! "Vet's Best" makes a really good pain and itch product that I use regularly. It does a very good job. I also am interested to see what your groomer says too cookieface. I will be watching for more info on it. The vet med for $20 for 8 oz sounds reasonable to me. There are over the counter dog meds that coast just as much. Yeah ... the vinegar could sting! I just am not overly fond of the vet clinics products sometimes .... just like having to ask for bloodwork and stuff. :/ I have a different vet than Leeo saw .... but still the same clinic.

I have ten days to decide what to use.

About diet since it was mentioned .... Eddee has been eating Wellness and 4Health and boiled chicken ( fairly regularly) for almost three months now. I wonder if high protein causes this or maybe too much chicken?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Thank you!

Do you dilute it ... 50/50 with water?

I have Mometamax from the vet for 10 days. Eddee has a mild yeast infection. How often do you use the vinegar for maintenance?

Vet says it is hard to tell what they get these ear infections from .... diet, allergies, etc .....
Yup, we dilute 50/50 with water and I do it once a week (or try to!) Sometimes I get lazy and just use a soft cloth to wipe away any debris. Loki tolerates his ears being cleaned much better than Livia.. and of course, hers are dirtier!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I use Oti-Soothe Cucumber melon for Busters ears. Originally I started using it during an ear infection. Bussys vet had me cleaning his ears out every other day and I didnt have anything at home so I picked up a bottle of this stuff. Ive been very happy with it. I love the way it smells but, most importantly, its a product I know is safe for Bus. With all of his allergies I dont switch products with him unless I absolutely cant avoid it.

Busters ear infection was caused by food allergies. I cant say weather it was chicken or grains that caused it since he has issues with both. Bus is allergic to corn, wheat, soy, chicken and lamb. I avoid giving him anything with grains, poultry, eggs or lamb just to be safe. Corn and wheat are also known contact allergens, corn (febreeze fabric sprays contain corn based deodorizers) causes staph infections and wheat causes hives. Ingestion of any of his allergens will cause gastro. upset, skin itchies and/or hot spots (he also gets hot spots at the base of his tail during his seasonal coat blows). Poor boy is a mess to say the least!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Epi-Otic is another purchased cleaner that has been recommended.
Epi-Otic! That's it! 8 oz lasts a long time, even with using it 3x per week in both ears. I'm not sure who decided my dog's ears should smell like green apple, but I'm weird about artificial scents. Other people may find that quite pleasant.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I like Epi-Otic too. I agree that it smells kind of ridiculous, but it does the trick. Biscuit hates ear cleaning no matter what I do.

Abbylynn, it could be a food or other allergy. It could be a coincidence, but Biscuit's ear issues (and eye goop issues) basically disappeared once we put her on a non-chicken food.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone!

hamandeggs - I just may have to change his diet ... but after I see how it goes ... and I use the weekly cleaning. It could be chicken ... why not? Blu Boy was having issues with it one year and not the next. He had skin issues really bad from it.

Darn ... I just bought that new bag of Wellness too! We will see.

LuvMyAngels - Poor Buster! Poor guy! Those pics look an awful lot like what Eddee's were beginning to look like. His is just mild though right now. Poor guy was up all night shaking his head and scratching. I finally gave up and rubbed some pain and itch relief med on them so he could sleep. I also just recently started using febreeze dragon fruit spray ...... better give it away just in case. The food they eat has no corn or wheat or soy in it though. It is a start. I know as a human how much I hate ear aches and such .... poor dogs ... and they cannot tell us when it hurts.

Amaryllis - Thanks for the name of the product! :D

Loki Love - Thank you for the info! :)

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
I always remembered there that purple stuff. Never had to use it though but I thought it was popular.

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel)
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
About diet since it was mentioned .... Eddee has been eating Wellness and 4Health and boiled chicken ( fairly regularly) for almost three months now. I wonder if high protein causes this or maybe too much chicken?
Could be the grain in the kibble. My poodle can eat almost anything, as long as it's grain free, but his ears itch if I give him a grain inclusive kibble.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Thanks everyone! "Vet's Best" makes a really good pain and itch product that I use regularly. It does a very good job. I also am interested to see what your groomer says too cookieface. I will be watching for more info on it. The vet med for $20 for 8 oz sounds reasonable to me. There are over the counter dog meds that coast just as much. Yeah ... the vinegar could sting! I just am not overly fond of the vet clinics products sometimes .... just like having to ask for bloodwork and stuff. :/ I have a different vet than Leeo saw .... but still the same clinic.

I have ten days to decide what to use.

We haven't been to the groomer yet, but saw the vet last night. Katie's ears are hairy and cruddy. The vet recommended using Zymox and Euclens on alternating weeks. She said the Euclens is more of a cleaner than the Zymox.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
We haven't been to the groomer yet, but saw the vet last night. Katie's ears are hairy and cruddy. The vet recommended using Zymox and Euclens on alternating weeks. She said the Euclens is more of a cleaner than the Zymox.
Thanks! :) I will look to see if I can find that too.

I looked at ear cleaners last weekend. I cannot find one I like ... and none of the ones everyone listed is available there. I have limited choice of pet stores. :( But the Vet's Best ear cleaner was there in a 2 pack cleaning kit for $20. I still have not decided which to go with. Eddee still has four more days of ear drops to finish first. This weekend I will have to make up my mind.

cookieface - I have had my Schnauzer/Poodles for 6 years now. They too have to have the ear hair down inside of their ear canals pulled. They hate it!!! I had to quit using the hemostats and use my fingers. They have never had an ear infection.

I cut Eddee's hair and made sure to trim around his ears so the air could get in them. He has the weirdest folded up ears I have ever encountered. They are like Papillon or Yorkie ears that never stood up ... but are completely folded length-wise like an omelet! Lol! :) His ears grow that feathery hair too ... not like Schnauzer ears.

I cannot find the Epi Otic! :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
If you don't mind buying online, all of these cleaners are available on Amazon with free Super Saver Shipping! I love Amazon for dog supplies.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Abbylynn - Katie's groomers have been poodle groomers, handlers, and breeders for 40+ years, so I trust whatever they do with her ears. I've asked if they'd recommend between appointment hair pulling and they said no. So far, Katie has only had one full-blown ear infection and I think that was related to a general upper respiratory infection she caught.

You might find some of the products online. KV Supply and Drs. Foster and Smith sell that kind of stuff; I've never ordered from them, so I can't vouch for their customer service.

I'll bring you a case of whatever ear cleaner you want if you'll teach me how to groom :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wish I could teach you how to groom! Lol! I taught myself! Lol! I'd sure like a case of ear cleaner too! :D

I don't mind buying on line at all. I use pay pal though. I don't like giving out card numbers to everyone. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts