Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

We are about 3 weeks into raising a new Chihuahua-Jack Russell Mix. He's about 3 1/2 months old and we've been feeding him Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Puppy Food for the last 3 weeks. He loves it but I have heard some not-so-good things about Blue and where they get their meat. So I just purchased a trial of Darwin's Raw food, the shipment should arrive today! I want to mix his raw food with his kibble, and will probably finish off the Blue bag that I have...but I'm not sure I want to go back to Blue for the next bag of dry dog food.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good grain-free dry dog food/kibble? I would especially love to hear from anyone who might be mixing their dry dog food with raw food!

Thanks so much!
:flypig:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay so I've been doing more research on this and I realized that I need to feed my guy dry kibble and the raw food separately, so I'm going to do that! However I would love to know what dry kibble you guys recommend? Like I said I'm still using Blue Freedom Grain-Free for Puppies. Orijen keeps topping my list but I'm afraid it's definitely out of my price range. =/

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you wanted to try Orijen but it is out of your price range maybe consider trying Acana which is made by the same company. It has a bit less meat but is also more affordable. Same quality ingredients.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I love Darwin's.....my 4 month pup eats half Darwin, half chicken meat or ground turkey or beef plus salmon oil....she loves it, never a poop issue, small poops and non smelly....
No dry food in our house, never know what's in it....

·
Registered
215 Posts
I feed Canidae Chicken Meal and Rice. I started my pup on it and he did fine, but I switched him to Blue Wilderness puppy since I thought it might be better for him--wrong. His stool was too loose and strong smelling for 'normal' (plus he was gassy, which wasn't normal either). I put him back on the Canidae Ckn/Rice and he is doing fine (so are my other dogs). It's about $40 for 30 pounds. A 30lb bag lasts my dogs (Japanese Chin, Boxer and Thai Ridgeback Dog) for around a month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts