Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I am not one of those Paris Hilton wanna-bes', so I am going to put that out there right from the get go.
My family and I (I'm Silver btw! :) ) are moving to the Philippines from Ontario, Canada this summer and my mother and I have decided that upon getting there we are going to be getting a dog (we would have one now but we didn't have time with all the kids at home, but since the 3 younger ones will all be in school starting in August, we will have the time needed to devote to a dog). We are looking into getting a smaller dog (My mom is afraid of big dogs, I've tried to get her to face her fears, but she is afraid.) but we are both very active people. She is really wanting a Pom after she met my Aunt's Pom-cross but we are afraid that the long walks wouldn't do well for such a dog, especially since the Philippines are, well, very hot.
I've seen all these hard plastic puppy carriers but they do not seem to be comfortable for us to carry and I've seen those bags the dogs sit in but they seem like they would overheat the dog since they are not usually made of very thin material. I've also seen those 'Puppy Purses' ( It kinda looks like a harness but it is made into a purse) but they look awefully uncomfortable for a dog. But otherwise they look good since it looks like less of a chance for the dog to overheat. I would normally say I would just carry the dog but I'm afraid my body heat plus that of the dogs would make the dog uncomfortable.

If the dog is good with walking long distances in the sun, I am perfectly fine and will not be buying a carrier of sorts, but just to get some information done, is there anything like that that any of all you other members have seen that is good for little dogs, is comfortable, and good in the heat? It doesn't have to be any of the ones I have mentioned, I've tried looking it up, but all it brings me to it all of those high fashion websites that make dogs look like beanie babies. It doesn't have to look 'pretty' or high fashion cause, well, neither of us care. We just want to know what would be most comfortable for both us and the new dog.

As well, with Poms, do you suggest a harness for walking or a collar?

Thanks again! We are both new to dog ownership (I had a bassethound cross as a child but she passed away two years ago and my mother has a 'mutt' as a child but, again, the dog has since passed away). So any other information about dog ownership is always welcome! :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Well here is my 2 cents:

If it's really hot out then the best option is taking your dog for its exercise early in the morning and late in the afternoon. Heat tends to sap the energey of a lot of canines who'd rather not be out in the hot sun, carrier or not. So one potential plus side is when it's really hot out your dog might need as much exercise and will be more content to lay out in the shade. But the early walking is a must. The other thing with a carrier is...well why? If the dogs not getting an exercise out of it, why carry him? Isn't the point of a walk for exercise, getting to sniff around and eliminate? I don't think the dog gets to do much of any of that in a carrier.

As for harness or collar, I myself prefer a harness but both can be fine. It just depends on your taste.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well here is my 2 cents:

If it's really hot out then the best option is taking your dog for its exercise early in the morning and late in the afternoon. Heat tends to sap the energey of a lot of canines who'd rather not be out in the hot sun, carrier or not. So one potential plus side is when it's really hot out your dog might need as much exercise and will be more content to lay out in the shade. But the early walking is a must. The other thing with a carrier is...well why? If the dogs not getting an exercise out of it, why carry him? Isn't the point of a walk for exercise, getting to sniff around and eliminate? I don't think the dog gets to do much of any of that in a carrier.

As for harness or collar, I myself prefer a harness but both can be fine. It just depends on your taste.

That is a good idea with the early walking thing. I've lived in Nova Scotia and in Ontario my entire life (so far, anyways) so I never really needed to worry all too much about hot weather. Its always been warm, but never too hot it seems.
Mostly we wanted the carrier just to be able to have the dog with us. We like being outside and walking and exploring always seems to be the case with us so we assumed the dog would just come with us. That was mostly the issue. But your point does make sense haha.

Harness does seem to be the choice for most it seems (google is now becoming my best friend). I just hear that some people like the harness because it seems to choke smaller dogs less (because of delicate necks) but I wasn't entirely sure if a collar automatically meant trouble. I've mostly had ferrets my entire life and I was taught that harness' are to always be used when taking them for a walk because they could slip out of collars easier, so I didn't know if this was similar with smaller breeds of dogs. Most of these things I guess we are going to have to find out when we get there. Learn from our dog, I suppose :)

And I do thank you for replying! I appreciate it! Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts