Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old chocolate lab and she is destroying any kind of bed and pillow we give her. We tried giving her the Kong Pet Crate Pad from petsmart but she chewed through that real quick. I've been looking for a tough and durable so she can't chew through it. I found the orvis tough chew bed and that looks pretty good but I was wondering if any one had any other suggestions or experiences with this bed before I drop $200

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a 6 month old chocolate lab and she is destroying any kind of bed and pillow we give her. We tried giving her the Kong Pet Crate Pad from petsmart but she chewed through that real quick. I've been looking for a tough and durable so she can't chew through it. I found the orvis tough chew bed and that looks pretty good but I was wondering if any one had any other suggestions or experiences with this bed before I drop $200
Despite Labs "soft mouths" they sure do love to chew on things.

Just to clarify, is the dog chewing the bests in general or only when left alone/crated? Are you providing alternative at all such a frozen kong?

I know some dogs just have it in for beds and those kinds of mats help because they're stuffing free and that's what the pups usually enjoy the most.
I would be dubious about any dog bed that markets as chew proof because no dog bed is that. I think you just need to experiment I think and see what the dog likes most, not something you want to do with a $200 bed :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both, when she starts chewing on it when we are in the room we scold her and then giver her one of her toys to play with. When we leave and put her in her crate we give her a bone and a toy or two to play with.

The one thing I like about that bed is this "in fact, we'll refund your money if your dog chews through it. No questions asked"
That might be the fact that convinces me, rather than buying 4 different beds (She's already chewed up two) every time she goes through them I can get just one and get it replaced if she chews it up.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
I'd just skip the bed in the crate until the dog is a bit older and more past the chewing stage. Fleece throw blankets are a cheap ($3-5 at a Dollar General or Walmart) and pretty safe alternative as they don't shred into strings like towels do and don't contain stuffing that the dog could swallow.

If she still chews that, then I'd not leave any bedding in the crate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
http://buddyrest.com/tough-buddy-titan.html

30 day chew tough guarantee (for cover only). You can also get replacement cover. Not the softest fabric though.
Take a look at other beds as well. Tina has had the Crown Supreme for 6 months now. Heavy chewer, the bed still like new.
I am not working for the company, just in love with their beds. Don't buy the pillow though, too easy to get the stuffing out.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have not *personally* used these, but I have heard very good things about the Primo pad:

http://www.primopads.com/

If he's ingesting what he tears up, though, I'd second the recommendation of NO crate bedding at this time (provided you can't find a chew-proof option). Risk of blockage trumps padded comfort (at least for a mouthy puppy) every time. You might also want to check Kuranda - I believe they make beds to fit standard crates, and are fairly chew proof (and at very least, have no stuffing to cause blockages)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
We only use blankets in the dogs' crates - the kind without any stuffing. I just get them at the local thrift store and give them a good wash before putting them in the crates

1 - 7 of 7 Posts