Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

My wife and I are picking up our first puppy next weekend (a 7-week old Golden Retriever) and we're going through our list of things to get. While of course we're going to try and housebreak her as soon as possible, we understand there's going to be some "mishaps". I've read that it's important to use a cleaning agent that will completely remove all traces of the scent where the dog had its accident. All of our floors are wood (Brazilian Cherry) and I'm wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what to use on hard wood? Most of the cleaning products tend to focus on carpet and I don't want something that will stain or discolor the wood.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I've never had any problems with the enzyme products I got from Foster & Smith but I wasn't dealing with Brazilian cherry. You might want to call and ask if it's possible to get sample products that you could test on a small, out of the way spot before purchasing full size.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I've used Nature's Miracle on carpet, oriental rugs, tile, and a little on hardwoods. Since I never had trouble with it discoloring the oriental rug, I doubt it would cause trouble on hardwood. We have Brazilian cherry wood in half our house and up the stairs but our dog was house trained before we moved here so I haven't used it much. I have used it to clean up her vomit on the cherry with no issues.

The bottle says it's safe on all water-safe surfaces. Not sure that includes hardwoods, but you could test an area in a closet and see if it discolors it. If you use 100% supervision in combination with crate training, you shouldn't have many accidents to clean up anyway. We had about 10-15 total before she was trained. Since you're not treating the whole floor, it should be fine. Just wipe up the mess, then spray lightly with NM. Leave to dry on its own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent! Thank you both. We'll pick up some Nature's Miracle and test is out somewhere...but it sounds like this should work. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts