Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I am looking for advice on a good choice of food. My dogs ate crap food until 2 months ago. I had to convince my mom quite a bit to get a better food.

We were using Pedigree and we switched to Canidae All Life Stages. However, my dogs are doing worse on the food than they were on the Pedigree. It's quite discouraging.

They have horrible gas, and Perkins doesn't eat it that well. Killian loves to eat it, but his skin and coat is so much worse. He is shedding like crazy (and he never used to) and he has dandruff. I am beginning to think he has a grain-allergy.

I was really considering TOTW, but with the recalls, I don't really trust it much now.

So, I was wondering what's a good, grain-free food? I would like to spend $55 or less, and get AT LEAST 30 pounds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When going from a cheap quality brand food to higher quality rich one you should transition your dogs slowly over a period of 7-10 days. Normally all dog foods mention this on their labels. Also you might want to gradually improve your dog's food by changing brands every month.

For example, if you have been feeding your dog Pedigree (one of the lowest cheap foods at grocery stores... too many fillers) you transition your dog to a better brand like Eagle Pack or Nutro MAX. Once your dog adjusts to that new food you can then upgrade to a higher quality one like Innova, Solid Gold, Wellness, Canidae, etc. Once your dogs adjusts then you can finally upgrade to a grain free type of food such as TOTW, Nature's Variety, Merrick, Orijen, EVO, Acana, Castor & Pollux organic, etc. Basically keep upgrading your dog's food every month (or when the dog adjusts to each) until you reach the desired high quality brand that you prefer to keep.

Any 4 or 5 star dog foods should to the job. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/
This website is good reference to finding all about dog nutrition and different types of brands.

If there is a particular type of brand that your pet store doesn't carry you can order online through www.mrchewy.com. Purchases over $49are free shipping. You can also visit the website for the particular food that you want and usually their home page provides you with a store locator.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just read this response on someone else's thread from you. It's good advice. I did the slow transition, over a period of 20 days. I am curious if transition up the chain is a better choice than just getting off the bad food in general, though?

Is two months on one food perhaps just too early to tell if they will be okay on it?

When going from a cheap quality brand food to higher quality rich one you should transition your dogs slowly over a period of 7-10 days. Normally all dog foods mention this on their labels. Also you might want to gradually improve your dog's food by changing brands every month.

For example, if you have been feeding your dog Pedigree (one of the lowest cheap foods at grocery stores... too many fillers) you transition your dog to a better brand like Eagle Pack or Nutro MAX. Once your dog adjusts to that new food you can then upgrade to a higher quality one like Innova, Solid Gold, Wellness, Canidae, etc. Once your dogs adjusts then you can finally upgrade to a grain free type of food such as TOTW, Nature's Variety, Merrick, Orijen, EVO, Acana, Castor & Pollux organic, etc. Basically keep upgrading your dog's food every month (or when the dog adjusts to each) until you reach the desired high quality brand that you prefer to keep.

Any 4 or 5 star dog foods should to the job. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/
This website is good reference to finding all about dog nutrition and different types of brands.

If there is a particular type of brand that your pet store doesn't carry you can order online through www.mrchewy.com. Purchases over $49are free shipping. You can also visit the website for the particular food that you want and usually their home page provides you with a store locator.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Not all foods work for all dogs. I doubt it's a grain allergy if he did OK on Pedigree. . .talk about grains! But clearly something isn't agreeing with them.

Do you want to stay away from all Diamond foods? If not, try another midgrade food like Chicken Soup or Diamond Naturals. If you do want to avoid Diamond, maybe Whole Earth Farms? You might have to order that online, though. Amazon has it at a good price, and free shipping. If you do want to go grain-free, and you're willing to go as high as $50 for 30 pounds, you might try Earthborn Holistics. I'm pretty sure it's right around that price.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Trying to avoid food that has had recent recalls. I also would like a 5-6 star rating.

He didn't do that well on Pedigree. He wouldn't eat much and he is very skinny. The vet said he isn't TOO skinny, but he is quite lean for his breed. Plus he still had the bad gas and seemed to itch quite a bit.

Not all foods work for all dogs. I doubt it's a grain allergy if he did OK on Pedigree. . .talk about grains! But clearly something isn't agreeing with them.

Do you want to stay away from all Diamond foods? If not, try another midgrade food like Chicken Soup or Diamond Naturals. If you do want to avoid Diamond, maybe Whole Earth Farms? You might have to order that online, though. Amazon has it at a good price, and free shipping. If you do want to go grain-free, and you're willing to go as high as $50 for 30 pounds, you might try Earthborn Holistics. I'm pretty sure it's right around that price.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would never feed nutro anything, including greenies... Try acana or blue buffalo.both are high quality and have a wide variety to chose from.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just read this response on someone else's thread from you. It's good advice. I did the slow transition, over a period of 20 days. I am curious if transition up the chain is a better choice than just getting off the bad food in general, though?

Is two months on one food perhaps just too early to tell if they will be okay on it?
No I actually think that 2 months is too long. Your dogs should have adjusted to the food by now. Maybe the food is too rich for your dogs (I doubt it bcuz Canidae isn't that all that great) or they are allergic to some ingridient (maybe the meat) on that food.

You might wanna try going a little lower on the food chain. Maybe you can try Eukanuba or Eagle Pack. I personally think that Eagle Pack is a really good price considering it's 4 star rating on foodadvisor. Both of these foods have corn but hey anything is better than Pedigree. If your dogs have no problems then you can go back to my working up the chain method.

How long did you have your dogs on Pedigree? I had a somewhat similar experience to you except that I'm not sure for how long did you feed Pedigree to your kids. Mine were under Pedigree for 4 years. My dog 8 yr old Buddy is so picky and never been a big eater. He is thin. Have you read my thread? It's pretty long like everything I write but it might help you out. http://www.dogforums.com/dog-food-forum/115702-help-my-dog-will.html

I'm pretty sure you know this by now but Diamond manuractures a lot of brands. I'm not 100% sure but I think they do Canidea, Solid Gold, TOTW, Wellness, and maybe some other brands that I missed. Right now I have my kids on Solid Gold Bison.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Look into Earthborn Holistic. It's about $45-50 for 28 lbs. Grain free.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I don't think you will have much luck finding a grain free food in a bag bigger than 30lbs. Some choices are Earthborn, NutriSource, possibly Nutrisca....these may be in your price range. Ordering online is cheaper alot of times than buying in person.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
They're probably just detoxing, it wouldn't surprise me.
I'm skeptical of whether or not that's even a thing. And they've been using the same food for 2 months. Personally, I would not keep my dog on a food that wasn't working for them on the off chance that it could possibly maybe get better months in the future.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm skeptical of whether or not that's even a thing. And they've been using the same food for 2 months. Personally, I would not keep my dog on a food that wasn't working for them on the off chance that it could possibly maybe get better months in the future.
Detoxing isn't the best word to use to explain it. I noticed Duke changed when I went grain free. He was fine for a month then got dandruff an started shedding for a week or two, then back to normal. Switching to raw he got a doggy odor then great!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They ate Pedigree, and sometimes worse food if the store was out of Pedigree all the way up until 2 months ago. They occasionally get some raw food, but that's only a couple times a month.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you (and everyone else) think that the synthetic vitamin K would be a problem, since some people believe it causes liver problem? Also, I know that the tomato pomace is considered a filler, but does it cause many dogs issues?

Also, I was wondering, is it okay to add raw egg to a dog's kibble? Some say it's good, but I have heard others say it's bad.

You can get a good deal on Earthborn Primitive Natural (IMO, their best formula and it is grain free) on Amazon, with free super saver shipping. :D http://www.amazon.com/Earthborn-Hol...e-Food/dp/B0028GY93S/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Do you (and everyone else) think that the synthetic vitamin K would be a problem, since some people believe it causes liver problem? Also, I know that the tomato pomace is considered a filler, but does it cause many dogs issues?

Also, I was wondering, is it okay to add raw egg to a dog's kibble? Some say it's good, but I have heard others say it's bad.
Personally, I would worry about the menadione but not the tomato pomace. And raw eggs are a very healthy addition. I can't think of a single reason why they would be considered bad.

For clarity, because I'm not sure which food you were referring to, EB Primitive Natural does NOT contain synthetic vitamin K (menadione). http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/earthborn-holistic-primitive-natural/

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I just want to point out that TOTW was never effected. It was made at the same place, but it was never on the list of food that actualy did any thing.

I tried blue buf. 2 years ago, All my cats, and my dogs, smelled horrid. My male cat never stank so bad in his life, and he was a stinky poo cat to begin with. The treats were also on the list of imported chicken that was killing dogs. So I will never touch it again. I've had friends that tried it, and they all had the same problem. It's alos very costly.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saw "menadione sodium bisulfite complex" on the ingredients on this site: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=2312&cat=all

Is it not the same thing?

Personally, I would worry about the menadione but not the tomato pomace. And raw eggs are a very healthy addition. I can't think of a single reason why they would be considered bad.

For clarity, because I'm not sure which food you were referring to, EB Primitive Natural does NOT contain synthetic vitamin K (menadione). http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/earthborn-holistic-primitive-natural/

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
http://www.dogforums.com/dog-food-forum/82977-current-recalls-pet-food-3.html

Post #44 says TOTW was recalled. I know that was a while ago, but I'm scared to risk it.

I just want to point out that TOTW was never effected. It was made at the same place, but it was never on the list of food that actualy did any thing.

I tried blue buf. 2 years ago, All my cats, and my dogs, smelled horrid. My male cat never stank so bad in his life, and he was a stinky poo cat to begin with. The treats were also on the list of imported chicken that was killing dogs. So I will never touch it again. I've had friends that tried it, and they all had the same problem. It's alos very costly.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts