Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we've talked and talked about moving and decided we'd do it. We can get a fairly decent mortgage but I'm not looking for a fancy house, wouldn't mind a fixer upper. Since we don't want to break lease it'll be a few years til we can make the move. But we talked and decided to hold off getting another dog til we settle in. This way said pup can grow up without a major change happening and have a yard to romp in. So since we won't have any restrictions on breeds I'm going to ask again.

~ breed that's known to be easier to house train
- I know some breeds are said to be next to impossible to house train (toy breeds come to mind)
~ good with kids
- I know it takes time and training to get to this stage, but looking for a breed that's known as adults to be gentle around kids
~ nothing under 15lbs when full grown
~ easy to train but not super stubborn
- meaning not super smart like a border collie but not stubborn like Bulldogs are said to be
- only want to teach basics (sit stay lay down shake and come) so we truly don't need a super dog
~ can go for our long weekend walks
- as a pup they won't walk the full distance, we have a wagon
- til we move no clue on distance
~ not a breed known to have prey drive
- I know every dog is an individual and training is involved
~ hair and drool don't scare us
- helped my sister groom her Shibas and an aunt clip her two shitzus coats
- our puppy can sling drool like it's no ones business
~ looking for a breed that can run around outside but come back in and be happy to lay on the couch

Since we'll have our own place we'll be looking at Breed rescues as well as breeders. I also like to do homework to make sure the pup we wind up with is what we are looking for. I also have to dig and find good trainers in the areas we are looking to move to.

So far I'm looking at Newfoundland and Bernese (from last post). We do plan on attending some dog shows and maybe a breed show if we can find ones close enough.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What about Golden Retrievers? They seem to fit pretty much your entire description. Great dogs, moderate energy (especially in the show lines -- field lines a bit more), generally great with kids. Smart and biddable but not crazy smart like BCs and Aussies. Goldens are pretty awesome dogs all around. Definitely a great breed!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about Golden Retrievers? They seem to fit pretty much your entire description. Great dogs, moderate energy (especially in the show lines -- field lines a bit more), generally great with kids. Smart and biddable but not crazy smart like BCs and Aussies. Goldens are pretty awesome dogs all around. Definitely a great breed!
Is it them or Labs that seem crazy prone to certain cancers? Someone my dad knew used to breed dogs and they always said cancer is the dogs undoing most of the time. I want young so don't remember.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I can't comment for sure on the Labs vs Retrievers for how common cancer is in the breed, but unless something has changed recently, Berners are extremely prone to getting it as well, and at young ages. I used to dogsit for a lady who had Berners and she actually was importing dogs in an effort to find bloodlines with less cancer and longer lifespans. So if you do go with a Berner, I would do my best to find a breeder that is actively trying to produce dogs with longer lifespans and is knowledgeable about their lines and how common cancer is in them. (This could be said for any breed, really, not just Berners.)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Is it them or Labs that seem crazy prone to certain cancers? Someone my dad knew used to breed dogs and they always said cancer is the dogs undoing most of the time. I want young so don't remember.
I think it depends on the breeder and their line. Some are but a lot of folks are trying to breed away from that. I do think the field lines are less prone but I could be wrong. I'd definitely do my research on any dog breeds because many have genetic issues.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
The first breed that came to my mind was Golden Retriever. Another choice would be a Boxer, but they have a lot of energy and won't necessarily be "chill" inside until they're older.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first breed that came to my mind was Golden Retriever. Another choice would be a Boxer, but they have a lot of energy and won't necessarily be "chill" inside until they're older.
I remember a boxer we had she was chill relaxed dog and the next one (my sisters) was on the go 24/7 zero chill

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I think Newfies are a good match, especially since you're already interested in them!

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I feel like keeshonden or finnish lapphunds would be a good fit, depending on how you feel about barking. They're generally happy, easy going dogs, moderately trainable, like to be active but not super high energy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel like keeshonden or finnish lapphunds would be a good fit, depending on how you feel about barking. They're generally happy, easy going dogs, moderately trainable, like to be active but not super high energy.
Never met a Finnish or heard of them til now. Keeshonds look more fluff then dog but I've met some and they seem like really sweet dogs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts