Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I'm brand new on here! I am hoping to be moving to a new apartment soon with my fiance that allows dogs. The one we are at now does not. We absolutely love dogs.. seeing dogs is pretty much therapeutic for us. We have dogs back home living with our parents and we miss them soo much. Every time we spot a dog we yell out "look! there's a dog!" And pet them whenever possible. We walked in to a pet store once just to pet a yellow lab that was wondering around in there.. haha we love animals, and dogs.

At the moment we are applying for a volunteering position at our local Humane Society. I would be taking photo's of the animals and my fiance would be uploading them to the website and keeping the website up to date.

Currently we are trying to figure out what dogs would be suitable for apartment life. We are looking for a small to medium sized dog.. he or she will definitely be from a shelter.. we will most likely find him or her while volunteering at the humane society this Spring. We really cannot wait to own a dog, we realize the responsibility of owning one. I have had 2 dogs at one time back home.. one with three legs and my other passed away of old age. My older dog was a shepherd/border collie mix and the baby who is 3 years old is a shepherd lab mix. My fiance's dog is a dachshund. What type of dog would be best suited for apartment life? Hopefully he or she won't bark much.. but other than that we can put up with anything.. lol, we just don't want to get kicked out because of our dog being too loud! Thank you for your help!

Melissa and David

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Since you're going to adopt an adult dog, looking for a particular breed won't do much good. You'll know your doggy when you meet him/her :) . You should be able to tell by the dog's behavior in the shelter whether he/she will be suited for apartment life. Really, you can make any dog work in an apartment with enough exercise and stimulation. It's not really any different from having a dog in a house.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you're going to adopt an adult dog, looking for a particular breed won't do much good. You'll know your doggy when you meet him/her :) . You should be able to tell by the dog's behavior in the shelter whether he/she will be suited for apartment life. Really, you can make any dog work in an apartment with enough exercise and stimulation. It's not really any different from having a dog in a house.
Aw thanks! I was kind of hoping someone would say that! I thought that since we are going to be there weekly.. we'll be able to tell which dog has a connection with us and which one seems suitable with us. I think we'll be able to tell as well. I'm glad that you said that, I just wanted to be sure that since it will be smaller space, that our dog will be happy :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Given enough physical, and even more importantly, mental exercise, any dog can work. I've had Rough Collies in apartments with no problems.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I agree. I have two boxers in a 3rd floor apartment. It can definitely work if you're committed to meeting their needs.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Retired Greyhounds are notorious for being good apartment dogs. As the other posters said any dog can work as long as you're commited to it's training & exercise and making it work.

·
Registered
347 Posts
While just about any dog COULD work, I'd stay away from the notoriously proficient barkers like beagles. A beagle bellow can drive a neighbor batty.

·
Banned
749 Posts
To be honest I do not think I would want a great dane in my apartment. It is a tiny one bedroom apartment. But that's just me. Before you get any dog I am going to go against what others have said so far.

What I would do is read up on all the different breeds. Pick a breed that fit's your lifestyle and the purpose of the breed. For example, let's say you like to do a lot of jogging and running and you want to have the dog as a running partner, well you would not get a toy breed dog for that.

http://www.justdogbreeds.com/ has an article about selecting a dog and lists over 150 breeds.

http://www.sometests.com/tests/SelfAssessment/WhatBreedofDogShouldYouGet.html Has 8 different questions so you can narrow the choices down.

Whatever you decide to do I know all here on DF would like for you to get a rescue dog and that is where I am in agreement.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I'm going to reiterate Willowy's point. Some breeds are generally good in apartments, and some breeds are generally horrible in apartments. Of course, however, there are always exceptions, so meeting your future dog as an adult will help a lot. You may meet the one husky that lives in an apartment just fine, or the one Yorkie that gets the zoomies every two hours.

And yes, with enough exercise and mental stimulation, any breed can really work in an apartment. Think about it this way -- when the dog is indoors, he's going to be either sleeping, chewing a toy or following you around to be cuddled. He's not going to get the bulk of his exercise inside the house. My dogs are fairly high-energy (not way up there) but I give them enough physical and mental training, so once they get home they're pretty happy to just sit around. It doesn't matter whether I live in a mansion or a straw hut.

To cut a long story short: just go to the shelter, without any expectations, and see what you can find. It might take awhile, or you might find your pet that very day.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
To be honest I do not think I would want a great dane in my apartment. It is a tiny one bedroom apartment. But that's just me.
My (adult) Great Dane was a totally awesome one bedroom apartment dog. Back in those days the leash law obsession was not as well developed as it is today. As long as your dog wasn't annoying anyone (and its substantial exudate was quickly removed and disposed of) a large dog was allowed run off leash in the park. As long as her comparatively moderate exercise requirements were met, she was an absolute gem in the apartment. You'd barely know she was there most of the time. If someone knocked on the door, her bark would rattle the timbers though.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
We had both of our dogs in a one bedroom apartment. Lloyd is about 80 pounds, he was 8 months old when we got him (guess so far for breeds is mountain dogXborder collie or some other herding breed). Allie is a german shepherdXcollie and probably some husky, she was 5 or 6 when we got her. She is about 60 pounds, but a bit taller than Lloyd. Both are pretty high energy dogs, requiring a decent amount of physical and mental energy. They did great in a one bedroom apartment. I really think any dog can do fine in an apartment, its more matching the dog to your lifestyle. If you are very active, always going out for walks and hiking, going to the park then a higher energy dog could do just fine in an apartment with you. If you prefer to stay at home at night then a border collie or husky or corgi would be a horrible choice.

One thing I didn't like about living in an apartment with dogs was having to walk them down the stairs and outside to pee all the time in the cold, lol. Being able to just let them out the door into a fenced area is nice, but that was just a small annoyance compared to all you gain from having a dog in your life:)

·
Banned
749 Posts
One thing I didn't like about living in an apartment with dogs was having to walk them down the stairs and outside to pee all the time in the cold, lol. Being able to just let them out the door into a fenced area is nice, but that was just a small annoyance compared to all you gain from having a dog in your life:)
We do not have a fenced in yard here at my apartment. Fortunately they are all on the ground floor. Not even one step other than over the threshold. For those really cold days I just put Lola on a 20ft training leash and then close the door on the end while I am watching her.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
We do not have a fenced in yard here at my apartment. Fortunately they are all on the ground floor. Not even one step other than over the threshold. For those really cold days I just put Lola on a 20ft training leash and then close the door on the end while I am watching her.
Yeah when we move again, if its into an apartment, we are going to be looking for a ground floor one I think:) That way I don't have to get dressed, put on my coat and boots just to take the dogs out for a few minutes, lol. One good though about it though was that usually by the time I did all that and got the dogs out I was often just like, eh might as well take them for a walk now since I'm all geared up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts