Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure if I should post this here, in the health topic or in the grooming topic so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. ANYways, Luna is a kibble eater. And I've noticed that she's gotten a bit of tartar buildup on her back teeth despite weekly brushing. I'm probably going to try the petzlife oral care gel or spray soon,

but until then... My question to you lovely people is this: Which doggy dental treat has worked the best for your dog? I am hoping for something a little bit more affordable than greenies, but I am open to all opinions! Most of the reviews I found were just talking about how much their dog liked eating it... I don't really care about that. I want to know if it actually did it's job and cleaned your dog's teeth. Luna isn't much of a chewer, so dental toys don't work very good for us, it has to be something edible (she's a gluttonous lab mix hehe C:).

We have a pet planet here, and I *think* they sell raw frozen bones and stuff too, so if you find those have worked better, please let me know!

Thanks in advance guys! :wave:

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I like raw beef ribs from the grocery store, the curved long ones that are cut from standing rib roasts for tooth cleaning. They usually cost $2 a pound or less with a single rib weighing less than a pound. There is a little vertebral bone that I take off so it doesn't get swallowed. A dog as large as Luna probably will eat most of the bone, have a trade item ready to take away the bone as soon as she can get it into her mouth as she is likely to swallow it at that point. Two ribs counted as a day's ration for 35 pound Max so you might cut back on the evening meal a bit if you try this. The tough tissue on the bone itself seems to act as floss and all but the canines get rubbed clean. My dogs usually work at a rib for at least 1/2 hour.

Actually I would have liked to use raw pig feet for tooth cleaning but my dogs were not fans, the skin is so tough they couldn't get through it! Cheaper than beef ribs at more like $1.50 a pound with a foot usually weighing a pound or so the dog can safely eat the whole thing. They aren't as fatty as they appear, all the white stuff is tendons and ligaments. I would still be taking it away once the dog can take the whole thing in her mouth though. This would likely count as a meal for your dog.

If the weather is nice these are great outside or offer them inside a blocked off area that you can easily wipe clean with vinegar and water after she is done.

Or try cutting most of the meat off a pork picnic or blade roast and giving one of the large whole bones to her. Use the meat to make some yummy pulled pork for the humans.

I've used pork/beef ears, bully sticks, pressed rawhide and I don't remember what else and raw meaty bones clean teeth better.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Cow ears. You can get them around $1 a piece and they are huge! Get from drfostersmith or best bully sticks or valuepetsupplies.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've had dogs break teeth on all sorts of things. Antlers, raw beef ribs, cow hooves, knuckle bones... So I tend to stick with softer things now to avoid recurring $500+ vet bills. I give them bully sticks often, raw turkey necks when I can get them, any part of a raw frozen chicken (usually quarters), or things like dried tendons that are crunchy but not super hard.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Frozen raw turkey necks, raw beef marrow bones, raw beef ribs, raw beef knuckle bones, etc. I've never had a dog break a tooth but it's always best to supervise. I haven't found anything that keeps their teeth clean like raw bones, Greenies and the like definitely don't compare. I will give my adult dog a raw bone and have her take it to her crate to chew but my puppy still requires total supervision as she'll swallow any chunks she breaks off. Also seconding raw pig's feet! Just watch for the bones there, I prefer to remove the bigger bone because mine will swallow it whole.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts