Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Bernese Puppy Overbite

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  storyist 
#1 ·
My boyfriend and I will get our puppy in 3 days. She is about 8 weeks old now, but the breeder told us she has an overbite and is about 3-4 mm. At first we weren't too worried about it, but I have read more about it and I hope people can give me some advice or tell their own experiences with an overbite.

We still love her and don't want to give her up. We know we can't breed or show with her, but that is isn't a big deal for us. She eats, drinks well and is a super healthy and playful dog in general.

Is there anything we should do or shouldn't do, like giving her certain toys or type of food?

#2 ·
Issues with bite alignment can be anything from a nothingburger to a serious health problem, depending on what's causing the misalignment and what the prospective outcomes are as the dog's adult dentition comes in. Personally, I'd be wanting a more thorough vet check before accepting receipt of the puppy. If there's some malformation or something that's going to end up costing me big in vet bills down the line, maybe this isn't the pup for me, or maybe the breeder needs to take some of that responsibility.

#3 ·
We have a contract with the breeder that when there will be certain costs, she will step in. They also gave all their pups a thorough checkup at their vet and I even contacted mine since I wanted to be sure. My vet also says it's not to worry too much about it and normally it should grow more even in the next months or it might stay like this.

I just hope it's nothing serious.

#4 ·
Your breeder sounds like a responsible one from what you've said. I saw several dogs with overbites come through rescue years ago. Worst case, a couple teeth need to be pulled for comfort, but they have full, happy lives. Your puppy doesn't sound like a bad case, and puppies with overbites often improve. For instance, a boy from the litter I got my last girl out of had an overbite at 8 weeks, and normal bite by 12. If the vet thinks she'll be fine, I'd love her and enjoy her, keep an eye on the bite and consult vet if it changes, but not obsess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.