Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a pet rabbit and Bentley just love him(I have two but she is shy/scare of everything) I had Oreo, the rabbit out in the yard eating some grass while I was playing with Bentley. He kept running over to Oreo dropping his tennis ball almost on poor oreo's head and putting his butt in the air barking and pushing the tennis ball closer to Oreo. That is how get gets other dogs to play so he though he could get Oreo to play. I told him to leave Oreo alone and bring his ball. He thought about it for a second pushed the ball closer to Oreo and started pawing at the ground. I said "Bentley bring it" and he gave up and brought his ball. He tried one more time before fully giving up. When we came in the house he did the same thing with Koda, the ferret, and Koda played with him, so he was happy. AND both are now snoozing away :D

Now if Oreo was a wild rabbit, the rabbit would not have survived. Bentley likes to chase rabbits and tries to eat them. But oreo is an exception and Bentley has always gotten along with Oreo. Oreo has excepted him too.

Anyone else have a weird dog like Bentley? bentley tries to play with all the animals in the house. But if it is a cat/rabbit anything outside of the house he thinks it is a toy or a tasty snack.

P.S. I say weird because Bentley is my first dog that tries to play with a rabbit,lol. Tank has a super high prey drive and can't even be trusted around Chihuahuas without a leash on. Mae, is okay with them until they run she chases them and tries to bite them. So to me it is weird behavior for him to try and play with the rabbit.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I don't think my dogs would allow a pet rabbit. Well, Killian would probably adjust but Perkins goes after EVERYTHING! I don't have any other animals except fish. However, they will sit and stare at the fish a few minutes before getting bored.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Haha that is funny! It's funny what dogs will do with other species. "Hey the ferret plays with me, why can't you?"

My Grandmother's dog, Poco, was the sweetest dog around my hamster when I brought her up to NY with us for a vacation. I was actually nervous because at the time my Grandmother was living with my uncle/aunt and both had dogs. My uncle/aunt's dog is an Irish Setter and my Grandmother's dog was (was because poor Poco is in Heaven) a Sheltie/Collie mix and I didn't know how they'd be with Sophie. But just like dogs, hamsters have to get in exercise too. So I put her in her exercise ball and it was funny to watch Poco watch her. Well she stopped and as hamsters do, they groom then continue rolling around. Well I guess she groomed too long for Poco and he hit her ball with his paw as if to say, "Keep moving you puny rodent!" At the time it wasn't funny and I called Poco away, Sophie was "Whoa, what happened, I'm seeing double!" But now that I look back, it was somewhat comical.

So yeah, dogs or any animal will be friends with another species. :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol. I want to get a hamster but Tank would go nuts,lol. if I do get one(which my sister may get one in a few months) I will have to keep them separated at all times.Tank's prey drive is so high he has to be leashed around little dogs. he thinks they are a chew toy :/ he is getting better though. bentley is my first dog I haven't ahd to be stressed about 24/7 so he has wiggled his way into my heart and may be a heart dog.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Lol! that is cute. I am glad he likes bunnies.

My GSD used to play with bunnies when I was there watching him. Unfortunately one day he decided to pick the bunny up by the neck ... proceeded to shake him like a rag doll ... and we all know what happened next .... RIP Sterling. :( Sad but true. I will never trust another dog with a bunny.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm sure it's really cute now, but IMO bunnies and dogs should not be allowed to play together. When my dad was growing up they had a GSD named Major who was absolutely best buddies with their bunny rabbit. They would chase one another around in the yard and cuddle. One day Major got a little too enthusiastic and killed the rabbit. In a split second the bunny was dead.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 57 lb puppy tries to play with insects...it is the most hilarious thing ever. So the other day, my husband and I were outside @ night talking to a friend..and I went back inside the house and a bug flew inside the house. Bonnie was sitting near the door waiting for us. So then she saw the bug crawling fast ont he ground and went after it ready to play. She then squished a paw on it (that bug didnt see it coming at all)..and after a few seconds lifted her paw. The bug did not move....so she squished it about 5 more times, lifted her paw to see if the bug would move. Then she nudged the bug with her nose to get it moving. And of course I was almost on the floor laughing at the absolute cuteness of the whole situation!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They don't usually play. Most of the time they are separated. Plus I know my dogs very well. Bentley has a very low prey drive. If I see Oreo start running around his cage or what ever I call Bentley to me and leash him. Same if I see him getting excited he is called and leash. They are always supervised.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I used to have 3 pet rats named Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner ( we also had 7 cats thus the names ). One cat used to fall asleep on top of the rat cage and its tail would dangle into the cage and Dinner would chomp down on the tail sending the cat screaming. You would think after a time or 2 or 10 the cat would learn but noooooo.... !

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
LOL that's hilarious! I have rats too and my dog is frightened of them... She's silly!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts