Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I posted this in the proper place .... was not sure where to post my questions......

I received a phone call at midnight that my relatives had put Benny outside to potty and he got into a fight with a raccoon who somehow managed to be in the fenced in area.

Needless to say it was pitch black and after all the noise subsided Benny would not respond. Being the area is on so many acres and the fenced in part is huge ... and Benny would not respond ... they called the sheriff.

Needless to say Benny won. The sheriff came and found Benny and took the deceased raccoon with them.

I did not get any more details yet other than Benny was bitten a few times and has some puncture wounds. They are taking him to the vets this morning.

He is up to date on shots except his rabies is "just" now due ........

Is he still protected if the raccoon was ill? How about the humans being around Benny? I have never encountered a dog killing a raccoon before. :/

·
Registered
583 Posts
Vet will treat any injury to Benny and give proper meds as needed.
He will get a rabies booster to make sure UTD. I would not worry too much about rabies protection as Benny was already vaccinated for rabies. Back in the fifties when dogs were vaccinated for rabies and regular dog shots they were said to be only needed once and your dog was set for life.

As for human protection , I would clean Benny up and use normal hand washing with anti-bacterial soap and not worry......

I am sure Benny will be just fine... BTW , my hounds live to kill coons , it's just part of life for me and my pack.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
When a rabid fox was found in my grandma's neighbor's yard, they called the vet and were told not to touch the dogs with bare hands because they might have rabid fox spit on them. They said to bathe them while wearing rubber gloves, then bring them in for a rabies booster.

But this (the not touching without gloves part) was probably overcautious. Plus, I think the sheriff might have to send the raccoon's head in for testing. . .maybe not since it was only a dog incident. But, since the coon was out at night like he should have been, I think he was just unlucky and not rabid. If he had been out during the day I would be more worried.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you oldhounddog. :) I am glad to know that it is nothing too serious to worry about. My relatives have always had Bulldogs and are not used to this type of prey drive! Lol! I will relay your message.

·
Registered
583 Posts
When a rabid fox was found in my grandma's neighbor's yard, they called the vet and were told not to touch the dogs with bare hands because they might have rabid fox spit on them. They said to bathe them while wearing rubber gloves, then bring them in for a rabies booster.

But this (the not touching without gloves part) was probably overcautious. Plus, I think the sheriff might have to send the raccoon's head in for testing. . .maybe not since it was only a dog incident. But, since the coon was out at night like he should have been, I think he was just unlucky and not rabid. If he had been out during the day I would be more worried.
This is good solid advice and I agree 100%....

Most of the time when I have made clean up and check of dogs after injury while hunting it's been in the woods with my water bottle or using creek water to clean up dogs so no gloves were used , so I guess I've been lucky.

oldhounddog

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yeah .... I just called and they said it was a baby raccoon and they believe the Mamma was trying to protect her baby ... but Benny got the baby and began eating it. Benny has an appointment to see the vet this afternoon. I guess he has a slight tear on his back leg. I was told the sheriff tossed the remains? :/

I will know more late this afternoon. Benny's appointment is for 2:30 ... it was the soonest they could see him .... I guess? :/

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Benny is just fine ... except he somehow has tapeworms ... I am guessing from the bunny he ate last month. :/ They gave him his rabies and another jab? and a bunch of pills (125 of them) for his tapeworms. Poor Benny! :(

Glad he is OK though! :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
He shouldn't need 125 pills for tapeworms! Just one Drontal would do it, and maybe another dose in a few weeks. Or a shot of Droncit (maybe that's what the other jab was). I bet the pills are antibiotics. . .when Moose had a staph infection, the vet gave me a bottle of 150 cephalexan pills, and I had to give him 10 a day for 15 days. But Benny is smaller than Moose so he'd have fewer pills. So that's probably what they are; his owners must have misunderstood.

I'm glad he's OK, too!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He shouldn't need 125 pills for tapeworms! Just one Drontal would do it, and maybe another dose in a few weeks. Or a shot of Droncit (maybe that's what the other jab was). I bet the pills are antibiotics. . .when Moose had a staph infection, the vet gave me a bottle of 150 cephalexan pills, and I had to give him 10 a day for 15 days. But Benny is smaller than Moose so he'd have fewer pills. So that's probably what they are; his owners must have misunderstood.

I'm glad he's OK, too!
Thanks .... I know they are relieved. Their new Bulldog puppy died unexpectedly last year and they were rather distraught. No cause for it was ever found. His heart stopped and he just died. :( Benny is filling that gap a bit .......

I bet you are correct about the other jab. :) They had so much to remember I am sure they are confused. I know you are correct about the pills ... he had to have 10 of them today and 5 a day there after until gone.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
AARrrgh why, why, why would the sheriff just toss the body??!! As long as you (the royal "you") have the body, you might as well get it tested for rabies and be sure that no one has to worry about it. Several state labs will do rabies testing for free if there's pet and/or human exposure.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yeah. . .the rabid fox in my grandma's neighbor's yard? The AC guy shot it in the head (thus ruining any chances for rabies testing, if anybody doesn't know that), threw it in the back of his truck, said "probably distemper", and drove off. She called her vet and described the fox's symptoms, and the vet said it was almost certainly rabies, and then told her all that ^^. There seems to be some reluctance on the part of some sheriffs and AC guys to send an animal for rabies testing. Maybe it makes extra paperwork for them or something.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AARrrgh why, why, why would the sheriff just toss the body??!! As long as you (the royal "you") have the body, you might as well get it tested for rabies and be sure that no one has to worry about it. Several state labs will do rabies testing for free if there's pet and/or human exposure.
Yeah I agree!!! I was told the sheriff said he has a farm and this happens all the time with his dogs ... and was not worried and just disposed of the body! I asked where it was ... and no one seems to know. :/

I hope they are correct. I also do not understand why the vet did not ask about the where-a-bouts of the coon? Ahhh .... country living! :/ ..............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts