Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that Benny ... my old "Devil's Dog" ... killed a full grown rabbit this morning and before they saw it he had devoured almost all of it. What do I tell them .... will Benny be alright ... since he is up to date on his vaccinations and such? Should they watch for any signs of illness and such? .... he is still a nut case. Lol! :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
He might get worms. They should give him a de-wormer on a regular basis. But other than that, he'll be fine. Dogs are meant to eat rabbits.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He might get worms. They should give him a de-wormer on a regular basis. But other than that, he'll be fine. Dogs are meant to eat rabbits.
Thank you ... I will let them know. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
My golden did about the same thing this morning. I watched as he dove into a pile of weeds and came right back up with a mouse! Before I could even think "drop it" he looked right at me, and swallowed the whole thing!!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I was told that Benny ... my old "Devil's Dog" ... killed a full grown rabbit this morning and before they saw it he had devoured almost all of it. What do I tell them .... will Benny be alright ... since he is up to date on his vaccinations and such? Should they watch for any signs of illness and such? .... he is still a nut case. Lol! :)
my dogs 86 bunnies all the time. The main thing to watch for is tape worms. Never had a dog get sick from doing it.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my dogs 86 bunnies all the time. The main thing to watch for is tape worms. Never had a dog get sick from doing it.
Lol! I told them it was probably the best breakfast Benny has ever had! :) I know he will be hunting for more!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Tapeworms about the only thing to worry about. I wish my dogs would eat what they catch instead of leaving the dead in the pasture, the yard and/or the hay field. Of course, I don't blame them for not eating the opossum they caught two weeks ago. Big mistake I taught them the 'trade up' trick. Now they leave their mice, moles, voles by the porch and sit there waiting for a trade up. I really wish I would have thought about that trick a little more.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
My dog caught and ate some wild life, and got mild diarrhea. Pumpkin seemed to clear it up in a week.

I think the problem was that I didn't convert from dry food to wild life, gradually :)

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
He'll be fine, in fact it's a very healthy meal for him. I would run a dewormer just in case if the rabbit was wild.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.