Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 3rd time i've clean his ears since mom adopted him, is it normal ? I mean, koda's ears hardly ever get waxy, then again he gets his ears plucked so im assuming thats where his wax builds up .

He is a beagle mix, is ears are so floppy i doubt any air gets into the ear.

opinion?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
When we first got Hamilton his ears would wax up super fast, and I asked the vet for ear cleaner. Oddly as he's aged it's slowed down. We also flip his ears inside out when he's sleeping on us to get some air moving. There is no science behind this, I just figured it'd be good to air them out sometimes!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
If it is just wax, I have no suggestion. But, if there is a smell, there may be an infection, especially if she shakes her head or scratches.

·
Registered
180 Posts
When we brought Loki home I thought it was just wax .. turned out he had mild ear mites (just the eggs?), ask your vet to do a swab - usually they can tell right away. They say with mites the scratch and shake a lot - Loki never did this, thats why I never thought to look, but our vet caught it on check up - one round of revolution red and no issue since.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When we brought Loki home I thought it was just wax .. turned out he had mild ear mites (just the eggs?), ask your vet to do a swab - usually they can tell right away. They say with mites the scratch and shake a lot - Loki never did this, thats why I never thought to look, but our vet caught it on check up - one round of revolution red and no issue since.
Hum, I don't think its that as he had some wax on his check up last week and the vet never said anything about it. Im going to try flipping his ears when he sleeps see if that does anything :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I clean my dogs' ears every day. There is always something in there!

This is the 3rd time i've clean his ears since mom adopted him, is it normal ? I mean, koda's ears hardly ever get waxy, then again he gets his ears plucked so im assuming thats where his wax builds up .

He is a beagle mix, is ears are so floppy i doubt any air gets into the ear.

opinion?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts