Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

201 - 220 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I'm always so amazed at the beauty and trainability of your Bengals! Are all Bengals that trainable? I've heard that they can be rather dog-like, but never knew how much of that was really true. What is your experience? I love Bengals, really hope to get either a Bengal or a Savannah one day.
I would think trainability is a strong trait to the breed in all Bengals. They like, food, toy, and physical attention to pick up routines quickly. They like going and doing with you... All the on lead pasture training I was doing with the dogs. Azamet was very demanding that we were not leaving him behind.. And he followed us, waited right with the dogs as I opened and shut gates.. he passed through the gates just like the dogs did... Stay'd with us, jumped and chased flushed rabbits right along with the dogs lol lol .. then when we reached the dry pound to just hang out. Azamet laid down and hung out with us too.. pretty cool.. To be left behind Azamet just cries and cries and cries until we stop and wait up for him...

Everything started off small with food reward at the end,, then progressed to habit and different types of rewards at the end..

·
Super Moderator
7,334 Posts
I would think trainability is a strong trait to the breed in all Bengals. They like, food, toy, and physical attention to pick up routines quickly. They like going and doing with you... All the on lead pasture training I was doing with the dogs. Azamet was very demanding that we were not leaving him behind.. And he followed us, waited right with the dogs as I opened and shut gates.. he passed through the gates just like the dogs did... Stay'd with us, jumped and chased flushed rabbits right along with the dogs lol lol .. then when we reached the dry pound to just hang out. Azamet laid down and hung out with us too.. pretty cool.. To be left behind Azamet just cries and cries and cries until we stop and wait up for him...

Everything started off small with food reward at the end,, then progressed to habit and different types of rewards at the end..
That's fantastic, so they really are as dog-like as the articles say then? That makes me want one even more one day, lol.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
I've always had close relationships with my barn cats, they always liked to see what you were doing and where you were going, came when called. I've never really asked much from cats because of their reputation "to not be interested" in mundane things. Always found cats able to develop close bonds to want to interact and enjoy worthy rewards that I can't say Bengals are unique.

Azamet and Aslan have been awesome to be very reliable to respond to commands quickly.. like letting them out of their cat house in the morning to go potty and morning run... Then suddenly realizing they need to stop and come back to the cat house and not have their morning routine.. And they have in a split second stopped and came right back.. I do reward to fix what ever was wrong or dangerous for them,, and then give them their time out when I have fixed it.. That's pretty good of them...

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
long over due update... Lots of changes happening more traffic in front of the house for the commercial MJ grows being built.. They speed through here at very disrespectful speeds like they on the interstate.... So lots of changes to their routines for being out side and more run time indoors. Have the Cats on Deck house , just haven't decided how I am doing to set it up. I want to connect the indoor cat house to the cats on deck house out side not sure I will use a window, or just cut a hole in the wall.. Still thinking about it.. They have adjust to a different routine just fine happily sleep deeply after a house run all night long lol ..... Today it's a deep snow day and no one is down this way so it's a outside day for them to enjoy...

the end

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #206 (Edited)
update .. they not all the same... Azamet .. He is happy to stay close, be interactive on a personal level. follow you around and talk to you while your doing things... Aslan has more of a roaming personality, soon as he is let out he shoots for the pastures or across the road out the front of the property. He does come when called but with the new traffic and people driving up to 60 mph on this dirt road lawless, can't take the chance for Aslan's sake. Will have to get the cats on deck set up for Aslan for right now for him to have acess to the outside, and have his free run time at night in the house. Azamet I can still let loose outside to run with us doing chores, he is just the type of cat ( like a GSD lol ) he wants to be where you are, so when I am in the house he is in the house too.. that's the update ...

PS Thanks kcomstoc .. Very happy how beautiful they both have turned out. Aslan is out growing Azamet love love the blue eyes on Aslan it takes them over a year to fully develop their snow coats and final eye color.. he has a deeper blue now then the aqua I thought he was going to end up ....

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Telling Adele, Aslan was her very own kitty... it's so touching to see them together , it's as if they truly understood <3

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
little update.. Since the new traffic from the commercial MJ grow facilities have moved in.. Nothing but total disrespect for coming into a residential area NO speed limit in how they drive.. Azamet is a home body immediate recall and checking in, Aslan needs supervision not so good on the recall or even calling back to let me know where he is like Azamet does, so their daily life style has chanced. They are let out for outside when I am doing my morning chores, run back and forth following me then back inside when I'm done to have their breakfast and sleep off the day in the cat house until end of day chores. Then loose in the house all night to run and play with no access to outside.. Azamet is ok to let him out during the day and let him do his thing, even with the door open he loves to hang out where I am or out on the deck and sometimes in the horse barn for hunting.. Aslan just has a straight line stronger roaming gene in him.. you could set a watch by it 20 min range and he needs to go (trot) off further in one direction or the other N, S, or W no problem it's all pasture for miles.. East will put him across the main road if I don't catch him when he goes.. Is a shame... Good news is they have been very happy to adapt, enjoy their smaller timed romps and all night adventures.. That is good about the breed it hasn't changed them behavioral wise for any negatives... still happy little ones..

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
That really sucks that the road has ruined their outside time (for Aslan) :( I'm glad they're still really happy kitties though :D they sound amazing and I think we need more pictures ;)

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
it does. Been doing some re-training with Aslan, I know the dogs go through maturity stages and need to be reeled back in to more structure before you let them back loose again. Again with Aslan some "white on rice" training for awhile, "break the cycle" and spend time working on individual skills one on one. letting maturity come in doing the right things that are rewarding in a controlled environment that Aslan can't make fatal mistakes in... This morning went really well .. Azamet is settled in his Maturity he is always where I am when outside.. always funny to see him laying down with the dogs waiting for me to come back out of the barn lol lol.. Aslan goes straight for a hunt out of sight the second he goes outside. Today when it was time I called for him (nothing lol ) waited a while and called again (nothing sigh) then up he pops and races into the house and jumps in his box for his breakfast.. Even when I had to leave the room to go get his food he stay'd in the house and near by then racing back to his box as I was coming back to put the food down for them.. That was really good for him.. Not to play catch me if you can race back outside and disappear stunt that he had become known for... Good morning.. Wont be everyday maybe 3 days a week.. Maturity is positive part in my favor.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
nothing really to update.. Azamet as always is perfect puppy, he is allowed to hang out loose unsupervised though he tends to follow where I am. He even picked up a habit not to go outside first thing in the morning being let out of his house, even with the door open until I am ready myself to walk outside to do chores and he will wait to follow me. You just want to hug him so darn much..... Aslan is good for 20 / 25 minutes then he starts to wonder in a straight line away from the house like clock work... Aslan is so so sweet but he seems driven to go and explore out of his control... so he doesn't get unsupervised time. Am trying something different with Aslan and that is going with him on his little adventures taking the soft cat carrier with me (so I can carry him back) and seeing if that will help to give him what he wants once a week that he happy on other days to stay home ????? you never know .. many of times MORE works well for the dogs to help.. am going to try it with Aslan Do love the breed.... can see they can be wired very differently and still in a way that you love them....

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
"" yay Ratmir did great.. closed off my office and let the cats out of the cat house and took my time fixing their meals.. He was so good and so happy to meet them Aslan is such a lover rubbing up all over Ratmir.. He was so calm smelling Aslan all up and not reacting when Aslan darted off this way or that way, Ratmir just waited for Aslan to return.. Too cool... When I start letting the cats back outside I'll start by having Ratmir tethered and we will go from there... ""

I have been working on this since Ratmir's arrival back at the beginning of April.. You could tell it could quickly get out of hand for Ratmir not being able to handle too much movement would of turned into a crazy chase down event. So I never allowed that situation to play out.. Ratmir has been my helper feeding the cats and gets a little finger pinch of their food for being helper.. The cats are smart and no fear of dogs, just needed to give Ratmir some time to get use to them in calmer sitautions. The cat house being in my office has been so perfect giving that opportunity over time for Ratmir to be around them, smell them, get use to the cats crazy behaviors. I was putting Ratmir away while the cats had their run.

Things in my favor:
Time with safe exposure
Helper skills, needed to sit next to me during the process of helping me feed and getting rewarded for the job
Cats not being afraid of the dog they calm, the dog calmer
keeping the area small, closing off my office and putting a baby gate up so the cats could leave but the dog not follow.. Aslan jumped out of the open cat house, jumped the baby gate and was running all over the house.. Ratmir was so excited over all that movement and was intently waiting for Aslan to come back. If Ratmir had been able to follow and chase Aslan all over the house that would of been chaos and off to a bad learning start and someone getting hurt.. I could detain Ratmir and call Aslan back to his house easily.
Mainly time and gaining experience in the right activities from the start...

This is also working with the rabbits for all the dogs...

201 - 220 of 227 Posts