Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My property is on sandy soil near a creek and a lot of swamp land in Central Florida. We are cursed with an abundance of fleas, ticks, mosquitos, and chiggars.

I was looking for something to control nematodes in my veggie patch I noticed that "beneficial nematodes" are being marketed to control all the above-named pests and more.

Has anyone had any success or failure with beneficial nematodes for flea/tick control?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I swear by beneficial nematodes. I have been using them for years for fleas. I didn't even need to use a topical on my dogs this year and we have been flea free. I buy them from a local nursery. The ones that I get are refrigerated and I use them right away.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think no one had ever heard of beneficial nematodes. If they work that well, I wonder why no one seems to know about them? A few questions. Where are you and how big is your property? (I'm in Florida and will have almost an acre fenced in my new place. I have two acres now). Second, what time of year do you put them down?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I get the fly predator catalog (I can't remember the name right now. . .) and it sure sounds impressive but I've never tried them. Now that I have the acreage, I might try them next year---ugh, the flies this year are terrible.

ETA: Looked it up. Spalding Labs. I've gotten their odor remover (works well) but not the fly predators. They say that once you order them, they'll send them at the right time so you don't have to guess.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think no one had ever heard of beneficial nematodes. If they work that well, I wonder why no one seems to know about them? A few questions. Where are you and how big is your property? (I'm in Florida and will have almost an acre fenced in my new place. I have two acres now). Second, what time of year do you put them down?
I am in San Diego...in the burbs....with an average sized yard. (I would love to have an acre!) We usually spray them in the yard at the beginning of summer and in the beginning of September when we get the hottest weather. The nemetodes eat the larvae but do nothing for the adult fleas so in the beginning you might still need a topical. We used to have a horrible flea problem in our house before we started using nemetodes but this year, I haven't seen any fleas on the dogs at all....I haven't had to use topicals routinely for years.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Listen to So Cavalier, b/c I had no luck with beneficial nematodes ... maybe I didn't use enough water. But, they didn't impact the fleas or the fire ants...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
You have to be sure to get them from a reputable source so that you are actually getting live nemetodes. You can't see them. I get them from a local nursery that has them refrigerated so they are dormant. I am thinking that they are transported in cool packs. I don't know if I would trust mail orders unless they came in coolers. I spray them that weekend and I make sure I have good coverage. In the first few years I sprayed once then waited a week or two (I would have to check gestation times) so that we would have strong numbers to catch the larvae that hatched.

Before I started using nemetodes we had horrible flea infestations. When my kids were little, I would sometimes find them in their hair. I remember coming home from a two week vacation where the house was empty...dogs were with in laws and having my white pants covered in starving fleas when I walked in the door. I had to leave the dogs and kids outside while I walked around "collecting" fleas and brushing them off into the toilet. Like I said, this year...not one flea and no topical. I have been using them for years and I use topicals maybe once a year at the most.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I just realized that the fly predators Im considering aren't nematodes. . .so nevermind! I wonder if fly predators do anything against fleas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts