Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my wife and I were watching a movie with the lights off. The movie ended, we turned the lights on to be greated by my 5 month old puppy with his face completly swollen. His eyes were almost completly swollen shut, his lips were swollen so he was drooling all over himself, and his body was covered in pink hives.

I took him to the emergency vet, they gave him a shot of benadryl, gave me a $170 dollar bill, and sent us on our way.

Now my question is,

Does anyone know the ratio of benadryl for a dog incase this happens again?

The vet said he was probably just bitten by something.

So if this happens again I'd rather not have to get robbed my the E-vet again.

Is there a dosage per weight or something?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
25 mg per 50 lb is a very low and safe dosage, and the one I usually use.

For an extreme allergic reaction such as you describe, 1-2 mg per lb is the prescribed dosage. But the most I've given my dogs is 1 mg per lb. In other words, 2 pills (25 mg each) for a 50+ lb dog.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
25 mg per 50 lb is a very low and safe dosage, and the one I usually use.

For an extreme allergic reaction such as you describe, 1-2 mg per lb is the prescribed dosage. But the most I've given my dogs is 1 mg per lb. In other words, 2 pills (25 mg each) for a 50+ lb dog.
So right now he's like 30 lbs, so maybe 1 pill twice a day?

Does his age matter? he's only 5 months old.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
It's really scary to see a swollen face! I had it happen to a dog, gave her a pill (couldn't remember exactly how much to give) and took her to Banfield (luckily they are open on Sundays!). That vet said 1 pill per 15# of body weight. So for your pup I would give 2 to begin with, see how the swelling does and go from there. Hopefully, he's doing better now. Poor Sebastian...:(

And if anyone ever asks about cats and Benadryl, you CAN give it to them. I got some kids liquid cuz that is so much easier to give than pills.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
So right now he's like 30 lbs, so maybe 1 pill twice a day?
That's exactly what I would do in the future as long as he's not taking other meds. If this happens again and one pill doesn't seem to have much effect after an hour, I'd feel fine giving another pill. And don't use the liquid as it's got alcohol in it.

Does his age matter? he's only 5 months old.
5 months is fine.

OTC Meds for Dogs

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
And if anyone ever asks about cats and Benadryl, you CAN give it to them. I got some kids liquid cuz that is so much easier to give than pills.

While this is true, most cats will be OFF THE WALLS if given Benedryl! My cat got stung by a bee and my vet gave a shot of Benedryl and warned me that he might get really hyper....next time I'm going to ask if there's anything else :D

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sebastian's doing fine today, the vet actually did mention kids liquid benadrly 'cause it's easier. Didn't say anything about alcohol in it.

On a funny note, a lady had brought her 5 lb pomiranian in at about the same time last night because it had gotten into her booze.

I can't imagine her bill just for letting the dog sleep off it's drunkeness.

She claimed someone spit out their shot and the dog licked it up, but my guess is one of her jackarse friends prob gave her dog a taste and she paniced.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Glad Sebastian is doing better. Do you have any idea what he got into/bit him? Both of animals got stung by something...don't know what.

Mortimer is sooooo layed back that any activity he might have exhibited would have been unnoticeable. I didn't give him a lot (which is why I like the liquid better, you can dispense how much you want) so he wasn't real hyper.

That's exactly what I would do in the future as long as he's not taking other meds. If this happens again and one pill doesn't seem to have much effect after an hour, I'd feel fine giving another pill. And don't use the liquid as it's got alcohol in it.
I wouldn't think they would have alcohol in kids benadryl :confused:...I'll have to check the bottle at home.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad Sebastian is doing better. Do you have any idea what he got into/bit him?
We'll never know what it was I imagine. I know the other day he had his first encounter with a snake, after he saw it he attacked everything that was long and round. sticks and the garden hose stoud no chance. But that was like a week ago so I doubt it was that.

My guess, and the doctor agreed, was prob just a bee, or a wasp or something.

at first I was worried because earlier that day him and his sister we covered in blood, but upon examining they were both bleeding from the mouth, and I found a good 6 baby teeth in the carpet. so i was wondering if maybe it was an infection from that. but the doc didn't seem to think so. But for 170 bucks he only spent about 5 minutes looking at him, so who knows.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oh, I was thinking of Nyquil! I'm sorry. I actually didn't even know Benadryl came in a liquid. I was just concerned about drug interactions.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually got a follow up call from the actually vet they forwarded his file to. He said it's fine to give him benadryl on a regular bassis, at 32 lbs he's allowed to have 1.5 pills. I told him if it keeps happening I'll stick to my answer of 1 every 12 hours and work from there, he said sounds good.

Hopefully my hard headed pup will be smart enough not to do wutever he did last night to cause the situation.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Hopefully my hard headed pup will be smart enough not to do wutever he did last night to cause the situation.
I hope so too, but a least you will know what to do and you won't spend $170 for an E-Vet. You can always follow up the next day with your regular vet.

Mortimer (the cat) came in with a swollen cheek and I gave him the benadryl for a couple of days until it went down. It never seemed to bother him when I touched it...he just looked so pitiful.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread but wanted to mention that liquid benadryl is a better choice when dealing with allergic reaction such as face swelling. the liquid can start working 10 minutes after administration, but the pill takes at least 30.
get a 6cc oral syringe from the pet store (they sell them) or your vet and keep it and a doggy bottle of liquid benadryl in your doggy first aid kit. if you dont have one, now is the time to create one!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Dosage per my vet

weight

1-5 lbs 5mg 1/2 tsp syrup (childrens) 2-3 times daily
10lbs 10mg 1 tsp syrup (childrens) OR 1/2 Adult tablet 2-3 times daily
15lbs 15mg 1 1/2 tsp syrup (childrens) OR 1/2 Adult tablet 2-3 times daily
20-30lbs 25mg 2 tsp syrup (childrens) OR 1 Adult tablet 2-3 times daily

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Last night my wife and I were watching a movie with the lights off. The movie ended, we turned the lights on to be greated by my 5 month old puppy with his face completly swollen. His eyes were almost completly swollen shut, his lips were swollen so he was drooling all over himself, and his body was covered in pink hives.

I took him to the emergency vet, they gave him a shot of benadryl, gave me a $170 dollar bill, and sent us on our way.

Now my question is,

Does anyone know the ratio of benadryl for a dog incase this happens again?

The vet said he was probably just bitten by something.

So if this happens again I'd rather not have to get robbed my the E-vet again.

Is there a dosage per weight or something?
I keep benadryl around the house and in my car for this reason. Allergic reactions with swelling (anaphylaxis) also cause the throat to swell shut, not just the visible swelling. People die from allergic reactions every day. I personally knew two young people who died from anaphylaxis.

You do realize that the fee was for the emergency service and professional care, not for the cost of the benadryl? It is good that you are going to be prepared if this happens again, and I don't want to seem to snarky here, but "robbed by the evet" comment gets my goat a bit. Evets wouldn't exist if they didn't charge emergency fees, then where would we be.
Anaphylactic reactions can be deadly, there was someone you could go to to save your pup. You should be grateful it was only 170 bucks and your pup is not gravely ill.

Just saying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts