Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1 1/2 yr old male dog was totally housetrained, but I made the very bad mistake when my dog had struvite crystals and was on the O/S diet and needed a ton of water. She said that, for a few days, I should let him have water all the time, night included. Not surprisingly, he started peeing in the house at night. Now he has a few favorite spots that he'll use, and he hasn't stopped doing it.

Now, he HATES the crate with a passion, and will bark until 2a if he's in it. I think he just has a panic attack (he has bad separation anxiety: read velcro dog). I know that the traditional way to train him is to use the crate, but I'm wondering if a belly band would work in lieu of the crate? He is great with it--I only use it at night and when I'm gone (which isn't very often) and he's never had a mistake.

I'm praising when he goes out, got the bells for the door, all of that. I got a black light and have identified all the spots where there is urine (and am trying desperately to get it off with enzyme cleaner: it isn't working entirely and I'm on my third round of cleaning sigh). I have potty pads and am prepared to use them if needed.

Given that he was fully trained before, do you think that a belly band would be ok rather than using the crate?

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
If he has anxiety about the crate - and it's important to you that he be accustomed and comfortable in a crate (even if not for overnight but if he were to be crated at the vets for example) then it might be a good idea to start crate training.... Teaching him the crate isn't a scary place, it's a safe place where he can go "escape" if he needs to.

This can be achieved by feeding meals in the open crate, putting special treats in the crate, giving him stuffed kongs in the crate, playing crate games, and trying to make him associate the crate with positive things.

It's entirely possible to allow him to free-roam too though... I'm not sure if I would personally recommend the belly band as I have no experience with it, but I would take him back to basics and start rewarding every pee/poop outside with very high value treats. I'd probably bring him out every hour if possible.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have gone through all the recommendations about the crate: putting treats in, kong, etc. But as soon as I'm out of sight, he freaks. I have to acclimate him to it, for the future (travel, hotels, etc.), I know, but for the short term need to get through this. I think I'll keep doing the belly band overnight and see if, after cleaning, he can go an hour at a time, and just bring him out.

Thank you!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. lol While it might not be optimal, a belly band will keep him from destroying your home while you work through his separation & crate issues. If he has no problem wearing one, then just use it for those times that supervision/containment isn't possible. If he dislikes wearing a soggy belly band, he might just retrain himself! The key is **preventing** accidents. Whether it's a crate, tether, or belly band that keeps the indoor pottying at bay is really insignificant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts