Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what our routine has always been: I stay up in bed reading. Belly sits at my feet while I do this. I close the book and turn off the light. Belly comes walking up the bed and goes under the covers next to me.

Then, a few months ago, Belly stopped going under the covers. She would stay down by my feet even after I flicked the light off. If I try putting her under the covers myself, she doesn't like it, her reaction bordering on fearful. Sometimes, at night, she'll wake me up by going under the covers after I fall asleep. But 7 out of 10 nights, she stays down at my feet. It just feels unusual.

Last night, we went to bed, as usual. Except this time, Belle went under the covers with me. Then, just as I was drifting off to sleep, I could feel Belle trembling really hard. I flicked on the light, lifted the covers, and there she was, shaking. She shot a nervous glance at me, then looked around the room fearfully.

I was wondering if this could possibly be some kind of neuro problem, a seizure or muscle disorder (that's how little Belle has trembled in her life). I carried her out to the living room, and we lay on the couch for a few minutes. She immmediately calmed down, curled up, and went to sleep happy.

We couldn't stay out there, so I brought her back to my room, where she trembled again. This time I just fell asleep.

WHAT on earth is making Belle act like this? My room hasn't gone through any changes. I'm just clueless.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Is it possible you kicked her or rolled over on her in your sleep?
That's why first thought as well. I bet at some point your rolled over and hurt her and now she wants to but is scared too. I'm not to up to date on the latest dogs here on DF. What age and breed is Belle?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's a 3 year old little Yorkie/Maltese mix. I feel awful about potentially hurting her in her sleep, but that does seem like the likeliest scenario. Ah...poor Belly. :(

·
Registered
547 Posts
Pepper shakes occasionally too (coincidentally, he's also a Malt x Yorkie, also 3 years old). One vet told me he had White Shaker Syndrome, but another vet told me that he didn't have it. I've spoken to the vet and they've told me that its nothing to worry about. But you should have your vet check it out.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never heard of White Shaker Syndrome, thank you for pointing it out to me. Is Pepper acting nervous/fearful when he shakes?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Its hard to tell. Sometimes he shakes when he needs to go out. Sometimes its when he's cold or when he's scared or over excited. I've just learned to read his signals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts