Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So. I was met with the harsh reality that Bella is completely and totally s-p-o-i-l-e-d. And thanks to a Siberian breeder who pointed this out to me and helped me out tons yesterday at class - I actually became aware of this.

She doesn't like the word no and I've always caved in to what she wanted lol. So today I started with her more strict training. Which started with shut doors and my room. She hates when she gets stuck in my room with the door shut even if I'm in it!

So, the entire morning was cage/room training and reintroduction to her crate but mostly just being in my room with the door shut. We spent the better part of our day here. She spent the first four hours whining and yelling and learning "no" and that she won't always get her way. She finally quieted down and was very good for the rest of the day.

After awhile of no whining we came out of my room and went downstairs. I went back to the basics and she isn't allowed to roam the house without supervision. I was amazed because usually if my mother and her dogs are down there she goes right for them. She didn't! She just brought me her toys and wanted to play! So we went out for a walk and came home and she laid down under the table while I did some stuff and then we ran around and played and did some training and she was a doll!

At dinner time which is usually the worst for her because she antagonizes the little dogs and tries to rough house and chase them - there was only two incidents and they were only her going under my chair to look at them(completely normal behavior for her). After I told her no she just laid down next to me while we ate! She didn't even try and chase them when they all went upstairs she just came around the other side of me and laid down!

Now at night I'm shutting my door also so she can't go get anything off the counters like she has been. But today it was like there was a completely different dog here :3!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm glad you have found the basis for rededication to basics. The crate and leash are great tools for a refresh of training and focus.
Always make sure it is never perceived as punishment by your dog and everyone will be a happy and productive camper.

Best , oldhounddog

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I am glad to hear this also. I went back to basics and more with Abbylynn.......and what a difference it will make! I had the help of a very good training schedule form Oldhounddog and Pawzk9 (sorry if I misspelled it) helped also with the idea of clicker training. I just had to credit them for their interest and help. That particular training schedule is on my old thread "How concerned should I be?" if you are interested. It hangs on the front of my fridge at all times! :)

Good luck.........it sounds like you are off to a good new start! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts