Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Overall it was a huge relief for the most part.

The Cardiologist said whatever she has is really really very mild. She didn't seem at all concerned with what is wrong with Bella. She said her heart looks normal and what she hears is a very slight arrhythmia and what she sees is that she has a narrowed aortic valve (she later gave a name to her problem but only hesitantly as she said whatever it is is really very mild - subaortic stenosis)

She said it could even just go away eventually or she'll have that mild problem for the rest of her life.

She was put on Atenolol to help relax the muscle and slow her heart rate. She was cleared for her spay after one or two weeks of being on the beta blockers. After her spay she'll go on Fish Oil Capsules and then five or so weeks later she'll go back in to see how her heart is doing.

I was reassured by the Cardiologist that she should leave a long and happy life.

:D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Happy to hear that all is well.

My Rottweiler, Clyde, also has SAS. He was also diagnosed with a tachyarrythmia called supraventricular tachycardia, and was prescribed atenolol as well. He had a Holter monitor twice for 48 hrs each. He's suffered no ill effects from this disease at all.

Hopefully your Bella is the same. :)

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Very happy to hear that. Ask the Vet for the best amount of exercise and follow that schedule, because when you condition the heart, it may help the stenosis to relax, open up...and go away...

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happy to hear that all is well.

My Rottweiler, Clyde, also has SAS. He was also diagnosed with a tachyarrythmia called supraventricular tachycardia, and was prescribed atenolol as well. He had a Holter monitor twice for 48 hrs each. He's suffered no ill effects from this disease at all.

Hopefully your Bella is the same. :)
Thanks you very much :D I'm glad to hear Clyde is doing well even though he has those two problems!

Very happy to hear that. Ask the Vet for the best amount of exercise and follow that schedule, because when you condition the heart, it may help the stenosis to relax, open up...and go away...
Exercise is something I didn't ask about and should have :(. But ever since we got her at 10 weeks she gets -tons- of exercise. When my vet first heard the murmur she graded it at a 2.5-3/5. The last time they checked she said it was a 1-2/5 and the Cardiologist said it was super mild. So I'm hoping since she gets roughly one to three walks a day (depending on the weather) varying in length - anywhere from 45 minutes to three hours and hours of play time and running around it might have helped.

Thank you all for the wonderful words and the suggestions!! You guys are the best <3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts