Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We met one of these at the dog park today and I was very impressed. The overall look and temperament was nothing like I expected, she was small and dainty looking, bigger than my bc, but not over 45-50 lbs. I was expecting something more GSD like I guess...and her temperament for the hour we were there anyway, was very much like my herders and she played nicely with my dogs....dunno what I was expecting, but her temperament was nothing like what was described on dogbreedinfo....anyone have any insight on Belgian Tervuren, because I have that feeling like I just met my next breed...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
They're almost nothing like the GSD, I can tell you that xD

They're lovely, but far too reactive for me. I have the luck of belonging to a kennel club that is home to many Belgian Sheepdogs, Tervurens, AND Malinois. That said, the Tervs tend towards being very "flighty", and they are very much a "Nip first, think later" breed.

All of the people I know that have Tervs do NOT have small children (most have no children at all).

They are lovely, but tend towards being handler soft, and sometimes require a modified approach to training so they don't shut down. Even the REALLY drivey ones have a tendency for being a bit soft.

Like the GSD, they are all about THEIR people. They are a wonderful breed, you just need to know how to work with them.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I expected a dog very similar to a GSD but this one reminded me more of my bc...only different...hard to tell in an hour, but I'd like to try to meet more of them.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
All the the Belgians also has a very funny breed trait, to smile. They life their top lip all the way up and back in a big smile when they are excited.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Keechak and I attend the same kennel club, so she knows EXACTLY who and what I'm talking about xD

I think of all the Belgians at club, Egan smiles the most. He is also the most stable Terv I've met.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I love the loyalty of tervs!
The one I met at the doggy daycare was older and very chill about everything. As a sheltie owner, you should be plenty prepped for getting a terv(grooming, potential softies, etc.)
That's about all I know aside from how beautiful they are.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I'd agree with Xeph's description for the most part, from the ones I've met (we have quite a few around here too). I like their personalities, personally, but then I'm not a self-professed GSD-centrist :p. I also wouldn't call them particularly nippy outside of the tendency to herd things, which can be the case with any herders as you well know, having a house full of different herders yourself :)

While I suppose the ones I know are "soft", it's really not excessive unless you are used to dealing with very "hard" dogs.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I like their personalities too :) The big thing with me is, I'm easily frustrated, and if I get frustrated with the Shepherds and accidentally correct too hard it's "Yeah, ok, whatevs". Do that to the Terv and I'd get melty face "OH MY GAHHHH WHY DON'T YOU LOVE MEEEEEEE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I like their personalities too :) The big thing with me is, I'm easily frustrated, and if I get frustrated with the Shepherds and accidentally correct too hard it's "Yeah, ok, whatevs". Do that to the Terv and I'd get melty face "OH MY GAHHHH WHY DON'T YOU LOVE MEEEEEEE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"
Yeah I'm the opposite since my first dog started as "She looked directly at me (not even a "hard" look)--- *hiiiiiiide!!!*".

She's not that way anymore but my auto response takes that kind of personality into account, and the few Tervs I've met are no where near that level "softness". :p

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm used to soft dogs, Shiner is the softest dog ever and the shelties are pretty soft too...I actually prefer it that way. I would be concerned about a tendency toward reactivity, but normal herder nipping I can handle. I am interested in how their activity level and drive compares to a bc or aussie...I like a dog who is up for anything, but my idea of "anything" often includes people and other dogs, and four days a week at the dog park...but I do like aloof w/ strangers and one person-ness over lab-ish friendliness.

...and this is like 2 years down the road.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I know 7 or so through agility. Some of which I've watched grow up. I've always thought of them as the teddy bears of the Belgian breed, but some of the boys as they have matured have become a little less soft and a lot more reactive. I still love the majority of the ones I know, but I am slightly more wary in how I approach them.

Someone I know through agility lost half of her finger in a Terv fight in her kitchen a few months ago. Likely not the most common accident.. but she was trying to break up a Terv fight between 4 adults. Outcome wasn't pretty.

The terv I like the most is nippy when excited. Was horrible watching him grow up and train liked to bite his owners sleeve endlessly. He's a pretty boy now, and excelling at agility, but when super excited he reverts to nipping.. and being a big boy his nips can seriously suck at times.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I can tell you that most of the Tervs I know are sound sensitive....and they never forget a sound that really "gets" them.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I can tell you that most of the Tervs I know are sound sensitive....and they never forget a sound that really "gets" them.
Tonight at kennel club one of the gates fell down behind Flynn, and he jumped about a foot in the air and spun around looking around frantically. Hawkeye just looked over his shoulder and then continued his "watch me" command.

Yes, sound sensitive I would say.

(Flynn is a Terv)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My current dogs would have probably reacted the same way as the Terv, though with the two rescues I think it is a socialization issue and not a breed issue. DH likes the look of the Groenendael better, so I'm reading up on both...they sound like pretty much the same thing though.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
My current dogs would have probably reacted the same way as the Terv, though with the two rescues I think it is a socialization issue and not a breed issue. DH likes the look of the Groenendael better, so I'm reading up on both...they sound like pretty much the same thing though.
in some countries they are registered as the same breed. the Gronendale("Belgian Sheepdog" in the US) is just the Black variety while the Teruvern is the colored variety

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Yup. In Europe, Tervs, Groens, and Mals are all the same breed, and can be interbred.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm in Canada. They recognize all 4 Belgian Varieties as one breed. Lot of people breed them only to their own variety, but it isn't always the case here.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Yeah. The "problem" with them being separate breeds in AKC is that they can't double register if they "crosbred" in Canada. They're one or the other

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As luck would have it, there is a breeder of Belgian Groenendaels about an hour from me that also breeds shelties, and another breeder about 3 hours away. I sent them both an email with some general questions. Reactivity does concern me and am interested to see if they get back to me and what they have to say about it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts