Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just adopted a year old dog that was described by the local shelter as a Belgian Malinois. Of course I don't expect pure breeds at the local pound, so it got me wondering.

I looked up the akc page for her (Belgian Malinois Dog Breed Information) and I see the longer, larger snout (I'm used to St. Bernards, with more of a boxy snout). So I see the Malinois in her. She is almost pure black. I did see some pics online of black Malinois also, but most were light colored. She has a white underbelly, and light tan hair behind her ears. Also, and this is unique from what I remember from my other dogs--not sure how to put this into words, I am not a vet--but scratching behind and below her ears, the bone that goes vertical (say, from the ear towards the shoulder & chest) is very pronounced--it sticks out far and is easy for my fingers to touch. I'm probably not saying that in the right way, but I don't know if that is a sign of this breed, or another breed.

Ok--anyone want to take a guess at what she is mixed with? Or is that just a complete crapshoot? The only pics we have so far are of her with me in the driveway. Do you need to see a side view of her standing, or are these pics enough? Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Gorgeous dog!! Seal (that dark brown/almost black gradient color) is one of my favorite coat colors.
I recommend getting a DNA test done if you want a better sense of her breed. Shelter employees are often wrong (like over 50% wrong, based on one study) about breed mixes. It is so hard to tell just based on looks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWIW the vet didn't think there was much malinois in her, and also recommended a DNA test. Not sure its worth 100 USD to know, so I'll just call her a malinois mix and be done with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.