Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last two weeks Alfie has been throwing up every now and then, maybe half a dozen times in total, there doesn't seem to be any great trend to when he's doing it. Previously he's just done it once, but last night he was sick 3 times in 10 minutes, the last of which was just some liquid. He seems totally fine otherwise, lively as anything before and after, eating and drinking normally, so I don't know how worried we should be by it? I suspect it's something he's eaten in the garden, as he does like to dig up bulbs and roots if you take your eyes off him.

We rang the out of hours vet last night who told us to take away his food and bring him in this morning for some 'easily digestible' food, which we did, but is it something we need to work out how to stop, i.e. monitor him carefully in the garden, or is it pretty normal for a pup and he'll work out what not to chew on naturally?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
No, it's not normal, and no, dogs never get a sense for what not to eat. Dogs will eat all sorts of poisonous things from antifreeze to heart meds to coffee grounds, and that's to say nothing of things that aren't even food, like golf balls, teddy bears and knives. (Yes, dogs have swallowed knives whole and lived- with prompt medical intervention.)

I absolutely feel your pain. Kabota will eat anything and it's very hard to monitor him every second we're outside. At some point, I have to look up to see if we can cross the street, at the least. I would keep Alfie on a long lead in the garden and watch him closely. You should also work on "drop it" and "leave it". kikopup on youtube has great videos for training those, but it is slow going with a food obsessed dog.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Amaryllis. He's got a good leave response in the house for when he starts to sniff around shoes etc, but it definitely needs some work for when he has his nose in the dirt in the garden. We haven't got a drop command yet, I'll check out the vids.

He hasn't been on the lead in the garden at all, I guess we'll have to adopt that policy, and try to keep him on the lawn only. How realistic is it to train him to stay on the grass, even off lead and unsupervised? I guess that would be a fairly lengthy process...

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You can do boundary training, but it is a lengthy process. Just keep working on drop it for now. I've got Kabota to the point where he'll drop anything but bones. Bones seem to be very high value for him, and I have to open his mouth and pull them out, which is not ideal. We'll get there. It's only been 2 months that I've been teaching that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boo, he's been fine all day but been sick again this evening, off to the vets with him tomorrow :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been recognisable food every time with the exception of last night when the last time (of 4) was just bile. Today was food again. I've been away all day, Mrs Bruce thinks maybe she either overfed him today aftet no food last night (with rice & chicken, the vet assistant told her to feed him that all day), or took him in the car for his walk too soon after eating. I'm not convinced on either as the cause.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgot to add, the only trend I can discern is that it's always after sleeping, or mid sleep he'll wake up to be sick.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Many reasons why a pup could not keep things down, You are wise if it keeps up to go back to the vet. Common for vets to take a relaxed mode for the first visit. Often time puking pups get better with a bland diet. Young pups love to eat everything.. On return visits with no improvement more drastic measures will probably be the course. Like x-rays or a barium series with x rays, I have seen vets do exploratory surgery and take out whole dollars bills intack, Are there any misplaced toys that you can not find?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts