Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Just to be clear: Most of us here DO spay and neuter our dogs. I'm not at all sure how I would train my two females to "control their impulses" when they are in heat.

But we don't spay or neuter in response to anything PETA might say about it.

I should have been clearer.:p

I was more referring to male behavioral issues. It bothers me when spay/neuter propaganda suggests it is impossible to keep a well behaved intact dog.

There are viable reasons to spay and neuter, I just don't believe behavior modification should be at the top of the list.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
oh lordy...

OP you will find we ALL care very deeply about animal WELFARE...not animal RIGHTS.

because there is a significant difference between the two movements.

animal welfare calls for ending abuse, speuter programs, better shelters, educating PET OWNERS about how best to care for their animals...

animal rights calls for all human interaction with animals to cease, forever.

PETA uses everything from scare tactics to indoctrination of children to outright support of VIOLENT groups such as the ALF to push an animal RIGHTS agenda.

I love animals. im dedicating my life to animals.

but..

I will NEVER support peta.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
As for the throwing dead animals into a dumpster I was quite shocked and horrified by that when it happened. That person was fired the moment PETA found out what had been done and would never condone that sort of action. It's just s shame that one person's actions can reflect so poorley on an entire organisation. As for the large amounts of euthanised animals, PETA is often the last resort shelter because other shelters won't take in such ill/severly injured animals, or they're temperment is too 'feral'. One of the shelters I worked in had 80% of the cats brought in euthanised on average because they were quite literally not able to be rehomed for they had grown to become to wild/feral and that there simply was not enough room to house them. I have read through many of the anit-PETA sites and resources and again I will say I HAVE DONE MY RESEARCH and not just from the internet, I have seen hands on thier work as well. They are an animal rights group not an animal welfare group, yes. The main purpose not to loose all interaction with animals but to stop our interactions which harm and exploit them ie circuses, dog fighting, factory farming etc etc

I think PETA do a lot of crazy stunts too but this is how they get media attention. If they just showed graffic footage and pictures no one would want to watch and the media certainly wouldn't cover it. They're designed to be contreversial for that sole purpose and is why they are the largest group of thier kind. The proof is in the pudding.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I suppose you're a lover of sea kittens and George Clooney Flavored tofu, huh? :D

A lot of people I've spoken too (mostly online) rave on and on about PETA because they only see that they are a well-known (infamous, rather) organization connected to animal rights (among other things). They visit the website, brush the surface, and get the idea that PETA is fantastic and only wants the best for the pets of the world. I could guess you mean well, as opposed to being a troll to stir up trouble, but I don't think either way there's any chance of changing your opinion. Now, how ANYONE could be that blind is beyond me. Yes, they are a large group. But who said size meant anything? They have probably hurt a lot more animals than they have helped.

I'm an animal welfare activist, not animal rights. I don't think animals would know what to do if they had rights! ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I suppose you're a lover of sea kittens and George Clooney Flavored tofu, huh? :D

A lot of people I've spoken too (mostly online) rave on and on about PETA because they only see that they are a well-known (infamous, rather) organization connected to animal rights (among other things). They visit the website, brush the surface, and get the idea that PETA is fantastic and only wants the best for the pets of the world. I could guess you mean well, as opposed to being a troll to stir up trouble, but I don't think either way there's any chance of changing your opinion. Now, how ANYONE could be that blind is beyond me. Yes, they are a large group. But who said size meant anything? They have probably hurt a lot more animals than they have helped.

I'm an animal welfare activist, not animal rights. I don't think animals would know what to do if they had rights! ;)
Ah yes the George Clooney tofu (as much as I love him I don't think it would taste so good :s). It get peoples attention though doesn't it..? Sometimes in contrevesial ways but it gets attention. The message may not be as strong in every stunt, but it's better than no message at all if done with picket signs and chanting.

PETA advocate for animals to have basic rights relevant to them ie the right to be free from pain & suffering, not the right to vote..we are their guardians still in any case.

As for my being 'blind' again this is far from the truth as I've stated many times and will not elaborate on again.

And as a last note PETA certainly have not hurt more aniamls than they've helped. They've improved the lives and saved many millions of animals. They've unfortunately had to euthanise many animals as do many shelters (often in much worse ways such as gas chamers which are still legal in the US). Please again read previous link posted in regards to euthanasia.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I do like to hear what people have to say on these topics.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It get peoples attention though doesn't it..? Sometimes in contrevesial ways but it gets attention.
How could that possibly help their cause, though? I'm sorry, but I heard of the "contreversial" sea kitten crap and instantly dismissed it as just that. I like having pets. I want to keep having pets. I don't support PETA.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
My animals can have rights when they have the attendent responsibilities - jury duties, taxes, and paying their own bills!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ah yes the George Clooney tofu (as much as I love him I don't think it would taste so good :s). It get peoples attention though doesn't it..? Sometimes in contrevesial ways but it gets attention. The message may not be as strong in every stunt, but it's better than no message at all if done with picket signs and chanting.

PETA advocate for animals to have basic rights relevant to them ie the right to be free from pain & suffering, not the right to vote..we are their guardians still in any case.

As for my being 'blind' again this is far from the truth as I've stated many times and will not elaborate on again.

And as a last note PETA certainly have not hurt more aniamls than they've helped. They've improved the lives and saved many millions of animals. They've unfortunately had to euthanise many animals as do many shelters (often in much worse ways such as gas chamers which are still legal in the US). Please again read previous link posted in regards to euthanasia.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I do like to hear what people have to say on these topics.
When I see PETA 'acts' such as George Clooney tofu, it simply reminds me why I don't support a bunch of whack jobs like those who are PETA members.

If other shelters took those animals and euthanize them they same way PETA does, PETA would be on them yelling and screaming and protesting about how they hurt animals. They made that page as simply another scare tactic, so people like you would believe that PETA is actually helping animals when it's simply disposing of the terminal ones anyone would euthanize.

How is that protecting the animals right to live?!
When did that animal tell a PETA member it wanted to die?

Oh wait, it didn't.. Because it CAN'T. Animals, believe it are not, at intellectually lesser beings than humans. Anyone with common sense knows how not to treat an animal, people who are members of PETA take it too far, by telling others not to use insulin or seeing eye dogs. Most dogs or cats wouldn't make it in the wild, they'd be attacked or eaten by bigger beings. By being with an owner they are given the chance to be loved by someone and cared for.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My animals can have rights when they have the attendent responsibilities - jury duties, taxes, and paying their own bills!
We the undersigned, as good canine citizens, refuse to give up our status as beloved pets. After all, what would our human slaves, er, we mean owners do without us?

Signed (with human slave assistance):
Jamie Louise, Cocker Poodle mix
Joy, Giant Yorkie
Glitter, Rough Collie
Dodger, Giant MinPin
Beau, Holly, Cajun, Drew, Mercie, and Bonnie - TFTs
:D

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Hahaha! I like your response!

I think everyone is given the choice of being a responsible owner or "guardian" when they adopt/buy a dog. Wither you spay/neuter is *sometimes* the choice of the owner: you must take the proper precautions that come with not spaying/neutering as in, watching your dogs every movement around other dogs, and training them to try and control their impulses. If you spay/neuter then you're protecting your dog and everyone elses, along with providing them a healthier life. (So I've been led to believe.)

When I adopted Donatello, I couldn't bring him home until after the surgery to neuter him. Period. There was no question, they didn't even wait for me to object to the matter; and personally, I think that's for the best, that's just one more step.

I'm one of the people that does want my dogs neutered or spayed; But like I said, it's a choice that many people decide for themselves, and if they make a choice they should be fully aware of the consequences should something happen either as a fault to their own or just an accident...

That is all. : P

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
There's definite advantages to spay/neuter. I'm NOT against it overall. But I *am* against it being legislated OR done without regard to the individual circumstances in a situation.

Mal will be neutered when he goes to his new home (he's looking for a pet home after he retires from the show ring, as he doesn't enjoy obedience or agility, he's CEA affected and there's no reason to keep him intact to preserve drive.), and obviously there ARE significant health benefits for spaying- the risk of pyo starts to increase around 3 or so. I generallY DO spay or neuter my dogs - but it's not as puppies, ever.

·
Super Moderator
11,985 Posts
I think this light hearted ad draws attention to the very serious matter of animal over population & euthanasia really effectively.
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the idea of a light-hearted look at euthanasia and over population.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
we the undersigned, as good canine citizens, refuse to give up our status as beloved pets. After all, what would our human slaves, er, we mean owners do without us?

Signed (with human slave assistance):
Jamie louise, cocker poodle mix
joy, giant yorkie
glitter, rough collie
dodger, giant minpin
beau, holly, cajun, drew, mercie, and bonnie - tfts
:d
roflroflrofl!!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
We the undersigned, as good canine citizens, refuse to give up our status as beloved pets....
I've frequently asked mysel the musical question: "Who's Zoomin' Who?"

I've been chewed on, puked on, pooped on, peed on, and walked puppies at 2:am, in a 3-inches-per-hour downpour with 50 mph wind gusts (puppy wanted to lie in the grass and chew sticks). Where's my human rights organization trying to save me from exploitation?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've frequently asked mysel the musical question: "Who's Zoomin' Who?"

I've been chewed on, puked on, pooped on, peed on, and walked puppies at 2:am, in a 3-inches-per-hour downpour with 50 mph wind gusts (puppy wanted to lie in the grass and chew sticks). Where's my human rights organization trying to save me from exploitation?
Gosh, that makes me miss having a puppy around! LOL!

And yes, I'm dead serious. :)

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Matt,
Given PETA's track record: the fact that they run a shelter that kills 90% of adoptable dogs (a matter of public record from the VA state authority the regulates shelters) that are IN that shelter and their outragious actions at Conformation and performance shows including the attempted theft of dogs, you won't find much support for them here. I will NOT support any group that activly seeks to strip me of my right to have domestic animals and seeks to make domestic animals 'extinct'.

Most here are active in ANIMAL WELFARE, we are not however supportive in ANIMAL RIGHTS. Yes, there is a HUGE difference, one that you perhaps need to learn.

oh, BTW, a normal kill rate at shelters is around 15%, my county shelter has a less than 5% kill rate, not including the low cost euth they do for teminally ill animals.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was in Raleigh once, going to the flea market. It just so happened that I drove by a bunch of PETA protesters, and whatever they were protesting, it had them pretty riled up- they were screaming at me and waving their animal rights signs, me all the time thinking "what the heck did *I* do??" Totally innocent bystander being harassed by these people.
No, I dont really respect them.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
^ that is disgusting.
I am ALL about eating free range meat and stuff, but even Ive got to say, thats not valid. Animals DONT think "oh my god, this man is murdering me". All thats going on their heads is "this place is scary these people are scary everybody else is scared". They DONT know what is coming.

How utterly disgusting.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts