Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like to know what experiences people have had with both or either one?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I would also like to know. My puppy is doing good with her training, but I would like her to interact with a behaviorist to maybe get some answers on why she does certain things she does.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would also like to know. My puppy is doing good with her training, but I would like her to interact with a behaviorist to maybe get some answers on why she does certain things she does.
How old is the pup and what is he doing? depending on what is up I may be able to give you some tips. I volunteer at two shelters training and in the the process of becoming a certified trainer, just in case CT changes the laws and trainers need to be certified. I had ten pups here while I was doing rescue so they broke me in years ago.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
She does some of the dumbest things, its cute, but ridiculous. She chews on her foot. We've had it looked at and x-rayed but she still does it. Almost like when a baby discovers his/her feet. They are fascinated with them. She's like that, chewing on them and such. She will be outside for hours and won't pee, as soon as we get in the door, she runs into the kitchen and squats. I posted a thread about this one, she gets in moods where any time anybody in the house talks, she barks until they stop talking. She acts like she's playing but its very annoying. It usually starts when I get on the phone, which is common for me because my fiance is in Canada right now. She is 6 months old and we've been working with her so much, she's just not catching on. I was thinking of contacting a behaviorist because I'm not sure if a trainer could help her. Trainers are there to basically train and condition you into how to train your dog. Behavorists are there to tell you why your dog does what she does.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is she crate trained? I had a friend down the road that could not get their little dog so i suggested if she does not go when out put her back into the crate and wait about five minutes. Take her out again and if she goes praise her like crazy. It did work but it took awhile and she had to stick to it. The paws, has she been checked for allergies and is she chewing them?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
She doesn't chew them constantly..Only sometimes, like if she's scratching her ear and her paw touches her mouth, she'll chew on it. She hasn't been checked for allergies yet, we're trying to save the money up. She isn't crate trained and she really needs to be. She's trained that my room is her spot. When she gets scared or whatever, she goes to my bed. Me and my mom have recently been discussing crates though.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Haven't been to a behaviorist but I've had great experiences with 4 local trainers, 3 of which also deal with behavior problems. Natalie has been through group classes with 3 of these trainers and I assist 2 of them with group classes. They are all very good at what they do and I have learned a lot from them.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
With Roxy's issues I paid big bucks for a behaviourist to "assess" her. To be honest, it was a waste of time and money, this behaviourists is also the most reputable within a four hour drive.

She didn't tell me anything I didn't already know when it came to the problem, or how to go about fixing it.

Perhaps I just had a bad experience, or perhaps I just have a good trainer that already gave me the information. *shrugs*

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With Roxy's issues I paid big bucks for a behaviourist to "assess" her. To be honest, it was a waste of time and money, this behaviourists is also the most reputable within a four hour drive.

She didn't tell me anything I didn't already know when it came to the problem, or how to go about fixing it.

Perhaps I just had a bad experience, or perhaps I just have a good trainer that already gave me the information. *shrugs*
I have always had great luck with trainers and do some myself but I had one person come in that was a behaviorist, paid him, then found out the poor dog went mean due to brain cancer. I was going crazy thinking what am I not doing right I had never had that much trouble with a dog in the past. Thanks for responding to the post!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haven't been to a behaviorist but I've had great experiences with 4 local trainers, 3 of which also deal with behavior problems. Natalie has been through group classes with 3 of these trainers and I assist 2 of them with group classes. They are all very good at what they do and I have learned a lot from them.
I think that most do both in this area so I have been very interested in what the big difference people think there are in them. Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Around here most trainers are also behaviorists. Well, the good trainers are at any rate. Being a good trainer means you need to understand dogs, and what makes them do certain things.

"If you know why a dog has certain bad behaviors, then you can correct them." was what Caroline Rogers told me. She was a local breeder/trainer until she moved down to the Milwaukee area. She was one of the best behaviorists in the area, and was very good at field training dogs. When I got to know her she had stopped doing basic training for all but those who knew her.

I learned a lot about dogs, and dog training from her. I got to work with her only because her kids had already grown up and moved away when she had her last litter. At 11 years of age I wasn't going to say no to helping play/socialize with some puppies.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Thats just my thing. I have no clue why my dogs do some of the things they do. If I knew why, then it might help. Like right now they find it oh so fun the chew on the corner of the wall. That makes no sense to me..? They just recently started to do it. One always does what the other does. I have a friend thats a trainer at a local petsmart, but I never can get ahold of her. I think I should really look into some training? What do you think

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've worked with both, with my current dog two trainers for obedience and tracking, and a behaviourist for his reactivity problem. Normally, the way I've seen it a behaviourist can do most of what a trainer can do, and a VERY good trainer can do some of what a behaviourist can. Some people argue that they would rather consult with a very experienced trainer as in opossed to a behaviourist. I think that while there's a lot of overlap in the methods these people use, there is a significant difference in regards to the problems and situation they deal with.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've worked with both, with my current dog two trainers for obedience and tracking, and a behaviourist for his reactivity problem. Normally, the way I've seen it a behaviourist can do most of what a trainer can do, and a VERY good trainer can do some of what a behaviourist can. Some people argue that they would rather consult with a very experienced trainer as in opossed to a behaviourist. I think that while there's a lot of overlap in the methods these people use, there is a significant difference in regards to the problems and situation they deal with.
Makes alot of sense, Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts