Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog Squeek is a 5-7 year old australian cattle dog. He is a full time outside dog, I live in a very rural area and he has 23 acres on which to do his business, but lately he has been doodooing on the back porch right in front of the door. Thinking it was just bad behavior I pointed at it and told him NO and cleaned up the mess. He doesnt seem to be getting the point. He knows Im not happy about it and, I think he knows what I'm not happy about. Its just a few nuggets, Is it possible hes just having trouble controlling his bowels? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Your dog has no idea why you are yelling at him. If you don't catch a dog in the act, they do not associate punishment with an act. From his point of view, you get angry at poop. He doesn't really know how that poop got there, so now he's under the impression that you attack him for no real reason.

It sounds to me like he's wanting you for some reason- pain, fear, loneliness- so he's at the back door, then he needs to poop so he does. I'd take him to the vet and make sure he's okay, then I'd spend more time with him. He's your dog, he needs you. Don't let him down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your dog has no idea why you are yelling at him. If you don't catch a dog in the act, they do not associate punishment with an act. From his point of view, you get angry at poop. He doesn't really know how that poop got there, so now he's under the impression that you attack him for no real reason.

It sounds to me like he's wanting you for some reason- pain, fear, loneliness- so he's at the back door, then he needs to poop so he does. I'd take him to the vet and make sure he's okay, then I'd spend more time with him. He's your dog, he needs you. Don't let him down.

Yes you are right,
Im thinking he is lonely and needs more of my time. It is just me, him and, the cat at my place and, the cat is not that good of company with the hissing and claws and such:/

Poor Squeek came to me as an adult stray who must have liked me so he stuck around. He was very skiddish at first but now he lets me love on him to a certain extent.
I have had difficulty getting a collar on him, he is strong, fast and, slippery and, I am fat and slow. I need to do it though for his own good cause the vet wont see him unless I can controll him with a collar and leash. If he was hurt by me telling him NO he will really be hurt when I wrestle him to the ground to put a collar on him.
Any Ideas on that? He wont bite me but Im sure the collar and taking away to a strange place (vets office) will traumatise him a bit.

Anyhow thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Call your vet and talk to them about a mild sedative that you can give him to help get his collar and leash on. It might also help him relax for the vet visit. The only problem I am thinking is that you'll want to be able to keep him confined after you give him the sedative because it can take a while for them to kick in. I know you said he has free run of 23 acres, so I wouldn't want him to take the sedative and then run off when you can't find him.

Another idea would be to use a slip leash to slip over his head and then use that to control him to be able to put a proper collar (make sure the collar can't slip off!!)and leash on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call your vet and talk to them about a mild sedative that you can give him to help get his collar and leash on. It might also help him relax for the vet visit. The only problem I am thinking is that you'll want to be able to keep him confined after you give him the sedative because it can take a while for them to kick in. I know you said he has free run of 23 acres, so I wouldn't want him to take the sedative and then run off when you can't find him.

Another idea would be to use a slip leash to slip over his head and then use that to control him to be able to put a proper collar (make sure the collar can't slip off!!)and leash on.
Thanks ladyshadow, will do. Hes kind of homebody, I cant even get him to follow me on walks thru the woods. So If I stick around outside and do some yardwork he wont run off. Thanks much :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts